Carnew stay in hunt for an­other tro­phy


Bray People - - Sport - Peter KEOGH

Carnew 0-12, Shil­le­lagh 14: No stop­ping that dual club from the Wex­ford bor­der this year!

All con­quer­ing Carnew are hunt­ing down an­other tro­phy to add to their col­lec­tion for 2008. At Ti­na­hely on Sun­day they beat neigh­bours Shil­le­lagh in the semi-fi­nal of the Dunne Cup – the tro­phy for the top four play-off in Divi­sion 1 of the SFL.

Shil­le­lagh blew what­ever chance they had of beat­ing the In­ter­me­di­ate cham­pi­ons when they kicked eight wides while play­ing with the wind in the first-half.

That squan­der-ma­nia against a team as well drilled as Carnew was never go­ing to go un­pun­ished.

David Cullen and Gary Mur­phy did get Shil­le­lagh off to a good start with early points.

Joe Mur­phy pointed a free for Carnew in the tenth minute and Eoin Cole­man lev­elled the scores a minute later with a shot that just as eas­ily could have found the net.

Mur­phy and Cullen ex­changed points in this low scor­ing first-half be­fore Stephen Byrne had a point to put Shil­le­lagh in front – 0-4 to 0-3 – at half-time.

That slen­der lead did not last long. Nicky Skel­ton lev­elled the game and Timmy Collins put Carnew in front within min­utes of the restart. The boys in the blue and gold were in front to stay.

Robert Doyle’s charges con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate and build on their lead; Joe Mur­phy pointed three frees in a row, Eoin Cole­man added an­other from play and when Mur­phy steered over an­other free the Wex­ford bor­der side were ahead by seven points – 0-11 to 0-4.

An off-key Shil­le­lagh were mak­ing no progress and were wast­ing what­ever bit of pos­ses­sion they got. The ques­tion be­ing asked at that stage was ‘were the goalscor­ing kings of Wick­low foot­ball about to be held goal-less?

The Carnew de­fence, an­chored by Vinny Fla­herty and Gary Do­ran and with the Collins broth­ers clean­ing up were leav­ing few open­ings.

Not too pleased with the lack of progress his for­wards were mak­ing cor­ner-back Fran­cis Simp­son moved up field, soloed through the de­fence to play in Stephen Byrne who boxed to the net.

It was too lit­tle, too late how­ever but at least the Coollattin men had got their goal.

Vet­eran Don Hy­land closed the scor­ing with a late point. and the dream of adding the Dunne Cup to their col­lec­tion for ’08 was still on.

Carnew: Em­met O’Sul­li­van; Shane Doyle, Vinny Fl­herty, Wil­lie Collins; Mark Collins, Gary Do­ran, Barry Bol­ger; Brian Os­borne, Der­mot Do­ran; Liam Kennedy, Don Hy­land (0-1), Nick Skel­ton ( 0-2); Timmy Collins (0-1), Eoin Cole­man (0-2), Joe Mur­phy (0-6). Subs - TJ Hen­nessy for Bol­ger; Michael Collins for Skel­ton.

Shil­le­lagh: Der­mot Nolan; De­clan Nolan, Pa­trick Hen­nessy, Fran­cis Simp­son; Barry Nolan, Noel Mur­phy, Michael Slye; Ciarán Byrne, Gary Mur­phy (0-1); Stephen Byrne (1-1), Keith Byrne, An­thony Cullen; Dar­ren Ka­vanagh, David Cullen (02), Richard Doyle. Subs. - Paddy O’Brien for A Cullen; An­thony Grey for Der­mot Nolan.

Ref­eree: Eu­gene O’Brien (Aughrim).

■ The other semi-fi­nal of the Dunne Cup be­tween the hold­ers Kil­te­gan and New­town was fixed for Round­wood on Satur­day night. Both teams were on the pitch but the ref­eree was late arriving. New­town left af­ter pay­ing the ref and hand­ing him their team list, leav­ing the ref­eree Phillip Bracken of Laragh with no op­tion but to go through the mo­tions of award­ing a walkover to Kil­te­gan.

How­ever, the match has now been re-fixed for next Sun­day.

Shil­le­lagh's Barry Mur­phy shakes off the chal­lenge of Carnew's Brian Os­borne.

Carnew’s Mark Collins and Shil­le­lagh’s Stephen Byrne com­pete for pos­ses­sion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.