D’Arcy stars for Lans­downe as they see off brave Grey­stones


Bray People - - Sport -

Lans­downe 25, Grey­stones 5: The score­line in this game in no way re­flects just how well Grey­stones played in the en­counter at the RDS.

The first-half per­for­mance and most of the sec­ond pe­riod, saw the vis­i­tors cre­ate most of the good rugby on a day when many other fix­tures were can­celled due to the wet con­di­tions.

Once again the in­jury list saw Stones travel to play top of the ta­ble Lans­downe, who were aug­mentented by Ir­ish in­ter­na­tional cen­tre Gor­don D’Arcy and it was he who ul­ti­mately proved the dif­fer­ance be­tween the teams.

Grey­stones were cer­tainly up for the game and on five min­utes they had a penalty awarded to them on their ten­metre line how­ever backchat saw the penalty re­versed. The re­su­tant kick from Lans­downe wing Charli Oosthuisen was on tar­get to give them an early lead.

From the kick-off by James Power, the ball was knocked on by Lans­downe No. 8 Ai­dan Mc Cullen and a scrum awarded to Grey­stones. The vis­i­tors moved the ball well to their right and with the Lans­downe cover bear­ing down on him, out-half James Power put in a de­light­ful high cross kick to his right which just about elued right wing Stu O’Con­nell for what would have been a fine try.

A Lans­downe line-out five min­utes af­ter that, saw Greys­tone No. 7 Burchi Wo­jner take a miss throw and set off and then un­load­ing to Power, who with a good kick down the line saw the ball go into touch five me­tres from the home team’s line with right wing Lorcan Ka­vanagh con­ced­ing the throw in to Grey­stones.

Stones won the line-out with wing-for­ward Johnny Downey tak­ing the ball but as he went for the line he was tack­led, how­ever the fol­low­ing on pack went over the top with a penalty awarded to the home team who cleared their lines.

Stones were play­ing some good foot­ball with Power driv­ing his pack for­ward with some fine tac­ti­cal kick­ing and only for some res­o­lute de­fence from Lans­downe to keep the men in green and white at bay.

As with last week, the counter-at­tack­ing from full­back Eoin Toolin was prov­ing to be a good weapon as he drove into the Lans­downe de­fen­sive line and with good sup­port from his back row of Wo­jner, Downey and Man­tle, it seemed that it was only a mat­ter of time be­fore it would get it’s re­ward but the tackling of D’Arcy and fel­low cen­tre Greg Stafford proved to be ex­cel­lent.

With ten min­utes to go Power tried a drop goal from just out­side the twenty-two which skewed to the left, wing Stu O’Con­nell quickly saw the sit­u­a­tion un­fold and with the Lans­downe cover on the wrong side, he chased and al­most got on to the end of it but once again it was that man D’Arcy who saved the day with a kick into touch.

From a high kick by Power, Lans­downe No. 10 Dave He­witt, caught and should have cleared his line but de­cided to try and run out, only to see him tack­led by Downey and the ball turned over.

How­ever the referree de­cided that an ear­lier in­fring­ment by Grey­stones had oc­coured and a penalty was awarded which He­witt de­cided to kick down­field only to see Stone full-back Toolin take it and start a counter, he made twenty me­tres be­fore un­load­ing to Power who took it on but af­ter ten me­tres he was tack­led and the move came to noth­ing.

With time tick­ing down the home team ini­ti­ated an at­tack from half­way with D’Arcy tak­ing a flat ball from He­witt and set­ting off; he seemed cer­tain to score but a good tackle from wing Stu O’Con­nell saw the ball knocked from his hands as he crossed the line.

With the last play of the game Grey­stones were de­fend­ing on their line and a ball from a scrum was taken by No. 9 Frank Jones who had an op­por­tu­nity to clear his line with a kick but he un­wisely chose to pass to wing-for­ward Johnny Downey who was in a worse posi­ton, he was tack­led and the ball went loose with He­witt tak­ing the gift and with D’Arcy in close sup­port the No. 12 took the pass and went over for the try which Oosthuisen had the eas­i­est of kicks to put them into a ten points lead.

The sec­ond pe­riod saw more good foot­ball from the vis­i­tors but de­spite hav­ing the Lions share of pos­ses­sion they were not able to ap­ply the fin­ish­ing touches and a penalty early in the sec­ond­half saw Lans­downe ex­tend their lead to 13 points.

A Grey­stones line-out on 15 min­utes should have yielded a score af­ter good pres­sure on Lans­downe’s scrum-half Matt Healy by Man­tle and Downey but a knock on saw the chance lost.

A fine bul­lock­ing run soon af­ter by Downey saw him make twenty me­tres but when tack­led, once again over en­thu­si­asm from the fol­low on, saw a penalty awarded for killing the ball.

With fif­teen min­utes to go and Stones now chas­ing a try and con­ver­sion to at least give them a los­ing bonus point it was Man of The Match D’Arcy who sealed the victory by set­ting up their two tries, firstly with a good run down the right and a de­light­ful in­side pass to full­back Johnny Meagher and five min­utes af­ter that with an­other in­ci­sive run he un­selfishly gave the fi­nal pass to Oosthuisen to score un­der the posts with his sec­ond con­ver­sion of the day to put them into a 25-0 lead.

With the last play of the game, Grey­stones were fi­nally, but alas too late to make a dif­fer­ance, on the score­board, when in bro­ken play on the Lans­downe ten me­tre line, Power see­ing that the Landowne de­fence stretched and faced with two for­wards in his path, brushed them off and made for the line, with wing O’Con­nell in close sup­port, he gave him the pass and al­tough tack­led by Meagher his mo­men­tum car­ried him over for the try with Power nar­rowly miss­ing the con­ver­sion.

The re­sult was dis­s­a­point­ing for Grey­stones but they should take heart that as with last week they showed that af­ter the un­ecx­pected de­feat against In­sto­ni­ans, three week ago they are find­ing good form, which when they re­turn af­ter the Six Na­tions will carry on to the end of the sea­son.

Lans­downe and Grey­stones go head to head in a scrum.

Man of the Match, Gor­don D’Arcy.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.