Clash Celtic and Carnew share spoils af­ter ex­cit­ing en­counter


Bray People - - Sport - Daniel GOR­MAN

Clash Celtic 2, Carnew AFC 2: The chances may have been in abun­dance for both sides in this en­thralling en­counter on Sun­day morn­ing but a point apiece was all ei­ther team had to show for their ef­forts come the end of the 90 min­utes.

With three goals fly­ing in within the first 15 min­utes, one couldn’t help but an­tic­i­pate a goal fest but poor fin­ish­ing put paid to that, with both sides squan­der­ing more than their fair share of chances to find the net and so it stayed at 2-2 fol­low­ing Carnew’s sec­ond equaliser of the game on 70 min­utes.

Carnew may feel they should have had all three points due to the amount of chances they cre­ated in the sec­ond-half but a share of the spoils was just desserts for both sides re­ally.

It wasn’t very long into the match when the first chance was con­jured up and in­deed it proved to be the first goal too; go­ing the way of the home side.

Dave Carter found him­self with the ball at his feet in the box but his sharp turn-and-shot was blocked by a de­fender, be­fore Carter col­lected the ball once more to put it across the six-yard box where Christo­pher Kennedy was on hand to bun­dle the ball in.

The hosts only held the lead for a few min­utes though, three to be pre­cise, as Carnew hit back in­stantly.

Dale Austin dinked a deep free­kick over the top and into the dan­ger zone and with no Clash de­fender on hand to clear it away, John Ka­vanagh net­ted his first goal of the day by nod­ding the ball across the face of the goal and into the net.

Then with just the third chance of the game we had the third goal, and what a goal it was.

Martin Darcy found his strike part­ner Dave Carter, and Carter went on a jink­ing run which saw him evade sev­eral would-be tack­lers be­fore toe-pok­ing the ball in off the foot of the post. A fan­tas­tic in­di­vid­ual goal, al­though not quite as good as Maradona’s in 86’.

Within min­utes both sides then missed chances, first Gael For­lot sent his free header wide of the tar­get for Celtic be­fore Carnew’s Keith Os­bourne saw his one-on-one op­por­tu­nity blocked away by a com­bi­na­tion of de­fender and goalie. There was an­other flurry of chances shortly be­fore the break, all fall­ing to Carnew this time, but For­lot, David O’Rourke, Keith Os­bourne and then Austin, who hit the cross­bar with a fan­tas­tic ef­fort from the edge of the box, failed to find a way past the im­pos­ing fig­ure of Thomas Carter in the Clash net.

The sec­ond-half didn’t ex­plode into action quite like the first-half did, with the first threat on goal not com­ing un­til 16 min­utes into the sec­ond pe­riod.

For­lot’s ball for­ward was con­trolled by Keith Os­bourne, who then touched the ball back for Mau­rice Kin­sella, but Kin­sella’s low ef­fort was saved.

How­ever, Carnew’s next chance, 20 min­utes be­fore the end, was not saved by Carter and fi­nally the vis­i­tors got the goal they de­served.

They must have thought they had scored mo­ments be­fore but were de­nied by a brave goal-line block, but dur­ing the en­su­ing scram­ble Ka­vanagh man­aged to scram­ble the ball in and tie it up.

Carnew now looked like they were push­ing on in search of a win­ner and were al­most caught out when sub­sti­tute Brian Han­lon was re­leased and had at least ten yards on the near­est de­fender, but the young man seemed as sur­prised as every­one else not to have been called off­side and when he did even­tu­ally shoot, it was wide of the far post.

Less than a minute later Carnew mid­fielder Mikey Os­bourne had a mo­ment he’d rather for­get when he skied his eight yard ef­fort over the cross­bar fol­low­ing a cor­ner.

The im­pos­ing Fergus Gar­rett then couldn’t be­lieve his bad luck when his low free-kick for the away side nicked off a Clash de­fender be­fore trick­ling wide of the far post.

At this point it looked like both sides were con­tent to set­tle for their point but Celtic will be kick­ing them­selves not to have brought home all three af­ter a fan­tas­tic chance a minute into stop­page time.

Paddy Byrne re­leased sub­sti­tute David Greene and his shot beat Carnew ‘keeper Jody Byrne but not Tomás Kennedy, who some­how got back and cleared off the line in the nick of time.

Man of the Match: John Ka­vanagh (Carnew AFC). Grabbed his side’s two goals, not a bad re­turn for a de­fender.

Clash Celtic's Christo­pher Kennedy skips past the chal­lenge of Carnew's David O'Rourke.

Carnew's Eu­gene Jor­dan tries to go past Clash Celtic's Ger Byrne.

Carnew's Fergus Gar­rett has this ef­fort blocked by Clash Celtic goal­keeper Thomas Carter.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.