Moments from using petrol to fight blaze
CLOSE TO DISASTER FUEL STORED IN FOAM CONTAINER AT STATION
FIREFIGHTERS from Greystones were moments away from fighting a blaze with petrol after picking up an extinguishing foam container which was being used to store fuel at Bray Fire Station.
Gardaí in Bray confirmed they are aware of the incident and said the matter is being investigated by the Health and Safety Authority.
The incident happened in Enniskerry on December 30, 2007, some three months after the tragic deaths of firefighters Brian Murray and Mark O’Shaughnessy during a fire in Bray in September 2007. The sequence of events leading up to their deaths is under investigation by both the gardai and the HSA.
In December 2007 at 5.22 pm firemen from Greystones borrowed foam tanks from Bray in a bid to tackle a fire behind a pharmacy in Enniskerry.
However, one of the three tanks borrowed was filled with petrol rather than life- saving extinguishing foam.
Tragedy was averted only because one of the firemen on duty thought he smelt petrol when they opened the container and the men put it to one side before continuing to douse the fire.
Both the Gardaí and the HSA were informed of the nearfatal mishap in December 2007. Wicklow Fire Service declined to comment while Superintendent Mick Lernihan of Bray Garda Station confirmed the gardai were aware of the incident saying it was reported to both them and the HSA in December 2007.
He said the incident was not being investigated by the Gardaí as it was more of a work place accident and came under the remit of the HSA, but said they had been informed as a matter of course.
The petrol stored in the container had been drained from petrol tanks of cars that are used in training exercises by the fire service. It was then stored unlabelled in Bray Fire Station until the incident in December.