DART expected to be back in action
THE DART could well be back in action between Bray and Greystones by tomorrow ( Thursday), according to a statement made last week by Irish Rail.
Buses have transferred stranded passengers since a rock fall in recent weeks put a stop to the train from Bray onwards.
The line has been closed since the incident on Monday, February 2, and hundreds of commuters have suffered disruption as a result.
There were complaints from a number of sources, including Cllrs. Derek Mitchell and George Jones, that the company did not spring in to action quickly enough. It was over a week before repairs to the line began.
The rocks did not fall right on to the line itself but loose rubble was being held back by netting which railway officials said could loosen and tumble on to the track at any moment.
The rock fall happened near the entrance to the first tunnel on Bray Head. Barry Kenny of Irish Rail said that an assessment would have to be carried out before work commenced.
By tomorrow, the estimated re-open day, the line between Bray and Greystones will have been closed for two and a half weeks.
‘There did not appear to be an urgency at the start to get the line cleared,’ said Mayor of Greystones George Jones. ‘I am happy that in recent times the Chief Engineer on this job for Iarnroid Eireann, Ms. Eileen Kelly, is doing her best to reopen the line.’