Judge tempted to increase driving ban to eight months
COURT ESTONIAN MAN APPEALS BEING PUT OFF ROAD FOR EIGHT WEEKS
AN ARKLOW MAN who received an eight-week driving ban in the District Court withdrew his appeal after Judge Gerard Griffin said he was very tempted to increase the ban to eight months at last Tuesday’s sitting of Wicklow Circuit Court.
Casper Tubarik, 24 Fastnet Courtyard, Marina Village, Arklow had been convicted in the District Court of dangerous driv- ing and received an eight-week driving ban.
State solicitor Rory Benville said that Sgt. Burke was driving in an unmarked car northbound on the N11 near Jack White’s Inn on June 30, 2006. At 7.30pm he noticed a number of cars and in particular Tubarik who pulled out to overtake forcing Sgt. Burke to pull in towards the hard shoulder and take evasive action.
He flashed his lights at Tubarik to pull back in to his own side which Tubarik did but as he drove past Sgt. Burke’s car he stuck up his fingers at Sgt. Burke.
Tubarik, the court heard, was a 29-year-old Estonian national.
Acting for Tubarik solicitor David Tarrant said Tubarik was self-employed and his livelihood depended on his licence.
He said it was a very wide stretch of the road and apologised to the court on Tubarik’s behalf. ‘Does he know how many deaths take place on the N11?’ wondered Judge Griffin.
He said he was very tempted to increase the ban from eight weeks to eight months.
Mr. Tarrant then withdrew the appeal and the District Court order was affirmed.