Wolfe Tone shock Rath­new AFC

Bray People - - SPORT -

THERE WAS no doubt­ing the big re­sult of the open­ing week­end of the Premier Divi­sion fol­low­ing Wolfe Tone Celtic’s sur­prise 3-2 win over Rath­new AFC at Sham­rock Park last Fri­day night.

Both sides had come up from Divi­sion 1 last sea­son but with Rath­new hav­ing won both the Divi­sion 1 tro­phy and the Wick­low Cup last year, they would have been most peo­ple’s favourites for this one. Es­pe­cially when you take into ac­count the thump­ing they dished out to Celtic in the lat­ter part of last sea­son.

But the Bray side rarely con­form to ex­pec­ta­tions. Hav­ing come up one divi­sion ev­ery year since Divi­sion 3 in 2006, they cer­tainly aren’t lack­ing in am­bi­tion and they showed that on Fri­day with this hard-fought win.

For­mer En­niskerry YC star Damo Forde proved to be the hero for Celtic, pop­ping up with the win­ner with the game level at 2-2. That was Forde’s sec­ond strike of the game, with Kieran Con­way net­ting his side’s other goal.

St. An­thony’s also made a big im­pres­sion on Sun­day with their 4-0 rout of Ash­ford Rovers at Finn Park.

Martin Wil­liams opened the scor­ing for the Kil­coole side early in the sec­ond half be­fore Dar­ren Col­lopy, a sum­mer sign­ing from Glen­view FC, added a sec­ond shortly af­ter.

Keith Reynolds then all but sealed the win for Anto’s with 10 min­utes re­main­ing.

And Col­lopy grabbed a sec­ond a few min­utes later to put the ic­ing on the cake.

The two other top flight matches ended in draws.

Ark­low Town made the long jour­ney to Bray to take on Glen­view and re­turned home with a point fol­low­ing a dra­matic 4-4 draw.

Tony Har­ris was on tar­get twice for the hosts in his first ap­pear­ance for Glen­view since leav­ing St. Peter’s Bhoys. But Har­ris wasn’t the only man to bag a brace on the day as Town’s Matthew Hud­son also struck twice. Martin Melia and Gerry Ger­agthy got the Glens’ and Ark­low’s other goals re­spec­tively.

New­town United and Rich­mond Rovers both avoided de­feat in their opener with a 1-1 draw. Young­ster Shane Mooney got United’s goal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.