New­town find net against Strat­ford

Bray People - - SPORT -

It took New­town nearly ten min­utes to get into their stride as they shot six wides to their op­po­nent’s two in the first half. Dean Od­lum had their first point off his left boot af­ter eight min­utes, but this was a game where the county star did not leave his im­print on the play to same ex­tent as in pre­vi­ous en­coun­ters.

Strat­ford’s im­pres­sive wing-back Paddy Walsh was in hard luck as the ball slipped from his grasp and was snapped up by John Halpin for an equal­is­ing point for the mag­pies How­ever the losers bounced back im­me­di­ately with Mark Caplis con­vert­ing a pass from Paul Cronin into a score.

Even though New­town were play­ing with the wind at their backs in the first half, they now found them­selves trail­ing 0-2 to 0-3 near­ing the end of the first quar­ter of a match that was far from clas­sic foot­ball, with too much ball be­ing spilled by both teams.

Strat­ford were to be hit by the first sucker punch af­ter 14 min­utes when a high ball broke to Gar­rett Doyle, who took off on an unim­peded solo run be­fore tuck­ing his shot neatly into the left hand cor­ner of Nick O’Neill’s goal.

Five min­utes later the western­ers looked to be in even deeper trou­ble Ross Od­lum drilled to the net from a high de­liv­ery from mid­fielder Ja­son Fitzsi­mons, who had turned the game in New­town’s favour with a com­mand dis­play in the cen­tre of the park.

New­town’s cor­ner-back Justin Owens was also show­ing strongly on the left flank and one of his sear­ing solo runs won a free and a point for Dean Od­lum on 20 min­utes.

From be­ing 0-3 to 0-2 ahead five min­utes ear­lier, Strat­ford now found them­selves chas­ing the game from 2-3 to 0-3 be­hind. To their credit they fought back from those goal blows, fin­ish­ing the half strongly with two points from frees by Paul Cronin ˆ one a mighty ef­fort from a OE45’ into the wind, to nar­row the gap slightly to 0-5 to 24 at the break.

With the wind be­hind them Strat­ford con­tin­ued to take the fight to their op­po­nents. Eoin O’Neill was hav­ing a huge game at full-back and he was be­ing strongly sup­ported by Paddy Walsh on the wing, Shane O’Neill at mid­field and Paul and Diar­muid Cronin in at­tack.

Gar­rett Doyle opened the sec­ond half scor­ing for New­town but ag­o­nis­ingly Strat­ford re­duced the deficit to four points (2-6 to 0-8)


Gar­rett Doyle ( 2-1), Ross Od­lum (1-1), Dean Od­lum (0-3), John Halpin (0-2), and John Hef­fer­nan (0-1). 1. Cathal McGirl 2. Mark Fitzsi­mons 3. Andy Halpin 4. Justin Owens 5. Cathal McNi­cholas 6. Neil Martin 7. Eoin O’Rior­dan 8. Paul O’Rior­dan 9. Ja­son Fitzsi­mons 10. Ross Od­lum 11. John Hef­fer­nan 12 Paudie Doyle 13. Dean Od­lum 14. John Halpin 15. Gar­rett Doyle

Barry Davis for J. Haplin. af­ter 50 min­utes , with Diar­muid and Paul Cronin the providers of the nec­es­sary scores.

Five min­utes later Strat­ford were to be hit by a dou­ble whammy as two of their play­ers were sin-


Paul Cronin ( 0-6), Diar­muid Cronin (0-2), Mark Caplis (0-1). binned by ref­eree Kieran Kenny, and Gar­rett Doyle gave us an­other reprise of his preda­tory foot­ball skills, blast­ing home his sec­ond and New­town’s third goal to put the re­sult be­yond any doubt.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.