Pat’s through as New­town see red

Bray People - - Sports -

but he limped off shortly af­ter­wards with an an­kle in­jury. A se­vere blow to New­town’s chances.

Ross Od­lum now shoul­dered the re­spon­si­bil­ity in place of his in­jured brother Dean. Gary Duffy was lord­ing it at mid­field for St. Pa­trick’s but their de­fence was in­clined to wob­ble un­der pres­sure, al­low­ing John Hef­fer­nan to fin­ish to the net from a cross-goal ball from Gar­rett Doyle in in­jury time.

Through­out the first half, how­ever, the Wick­low town side al­ways had the re­serves in the tank to strike back af­ter ev­ery New­town score. Just be­fore half time John Slat­tery drilled home the win­ners third goal, leav­ing St. Pa­trick’s com­fort­ably ahead by 3-7 to 1-4.

New­town should have been well and truly dead and buried five min­utes into the new half fol­low­ing an­other Paul Éarls goal to stretch St. Pa­trick’s lead to what looked an unas­sail­able 12 point mar­gin (4-8-to 1-5).

To their credit New­town re­fused to sur­ren­der. In­stead they got the bit be­tween the teeth to stage a de­ter­mined fight-back. Ross Od­lum was at the heart of the come­back with some fine points from frees and a goal in the 42 minute from a long-ball out of de­fence from Justin Owens.

The mar­gin be­tween the sides was down to nine points at the end of the third quar­ter. Stephen Duffy pointed for St. Pa­trick’s from a free but New­town kept driv­ing for­ward. John Hef­fer­nan popped over two more points and Gar­rett Doyle fin­ished to the net on 50 min­utes. The mar­gin was now down to five points (3-9 to 4-11) and New­town be­gan to dream the im­pos­si­ble dream.

Then it all went hor­ri­bly wrong for the mag­pies. In the space of six min­utes, their dream turned into a night­mare as they had four play­ers sent off, three on straight red cards.

Their fight­back was over and St. Pa­trick’s seized the ini­tia­tive once more; fin­ish­ing with a third goal from Paul Earls – he cheek­ily chipped the keeper from the right – to run out decisive win­ners in the end.


Paul Earls (3-3), Dara O’Sul­li­van (1-1), John Slat­tery (1-3), Stephen Duffy (0-3), Shane Mor­ley, Gary Duffy and Andy Jame­son (0-1 each). 1. Robert Hollingsworth 2. Pádraig Hig­gins 3. Ro­nan Con­nolly 4. Brian Cornyn 5. Shane Mor­ley 6. Paudge McWal­ter 7. Ciaran Doyle 8. Gary Duffy 9. Richard Mur­phy 10. David Smullen 11. Stephen Duffy 12 Andy Jame­son 13. Dara O’Sul­li­van 14. Paul Earls 15. John Slat­tery SUBS: Chris Ka­vanagh for A. Jame­son, Thomas Kelly for D. O’Sul­li­van, Wayne Far­rell for S. Mor­ley, Mark Con­way for P Earls.

New­town's John Tier­ney tries to halt the progress of Dara O'Sul­li­van of St. Pa­trick’s.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.