Kil­te­gan through to semis Twelve sent off as cham­pi­onships reach boil­ing point

Bray People - - Sport - MARK KENNEDY Sports Re­porter

THREE OF the semi-fi­nal­ists in the se­nior foot­ball cham­pi­onship are now known af­ter favourites, St. Pa­trick’s, Balt­in­glass and de­fend­ing cham­pi­ons Kil­te­gan have all made it through to the last four.

The last of the quar­ter-fi­nals, Rath­new v. Bless­ing­ton, has been resched­uled for this Satur­day af­ter it had to be post­poned due a be­reave­ment in the Rath­new club.

Cham­pi­ons Kil­te­gan will now take on St. Pa­trick’s in the first semi-fi­nal, while Balt­in­glass have to wait un­til Satur­day to find out whether their op­po­nents will be great ri­vals Rath­new or near neigh­bours Bless­ing­ton.

As the var­i­ous cham­pi­onships reach their cli­max, twelve play­ers saw red in GAA matches at the week­end.

Nine of the red cards is­sued by ref­er­ees in foot­ball and hurl­ing cham­pi­onship games were straight reds which mean that the play­ers in­volved now face terms of sus­pen­sion.

How­ever the red cards were more the re­sult of the var­i­ous cham­pi­onships hot­ting up as they near com­ple­tion rather than dirty play on the field.

New­town’s se­nior foot­ballers saw red not once but four times dur­ing their cru­cial knock-out quar­ter-fi­nal match against win­ners St. Pa­trick’s at Aughrim on Satur­day; three of the dis­missal be­ing for straight red card of­fences.

En­ter­ing the last ten min­utes New­town had sliced the deficit in half, down from ten points to five, when in six min­utes of mad- ness they blew their fight-back by hav­ing four play­ers sent off.

Two play­ers from each team – win­ners Carnew and Glenealy – were sent off by ref­eree Jimmy Kelly in the sec­ond half of the ju­nior hurl­ing fi­nal at Ark­low on Sun­day; three of them on straight red cards, while a Glenealy wa­ter car­rier also got a red card when he came on to the field.

In other matches, red cards – the re­sult of two yel­lows in at least one in­stance - were flashed at an Avoca player in a ju­nior foot­ball cham­pi­onship game; at an An­nacurra player in an in­ter­me­di­ate foot­ball cham­pi­onship match; and at an Ark­low Rock Parnells hurler in a 125 Cen­te­nary Cup semi­fi­nal.

Three play­ers from Bray Em­mett’s se­nior foot­ball team have been sus­pended for terms rang­ing from one to six months by Wick­low Com­pe­ti­tions Con­trols Com­mit­tee.

Two of the sus­pen­sions re­sult from in­ci­dents that occurred af­ter they were knocked out of the se­nior foot­ball cham­pi­onship by a dis­puted point at the end of their match with Bless­ing­ton two weeks ago.

Bray play­ers re­acted af­ter Bless­ing­ton’s Wes­ley Cal­laghan swung over the winning point in in­jury time, claim­ing that the kick from a free was wide.

Goalie Paul O’Ke­effe was sus­pended for six months and wing-for­ward John O’Ke­effe for three months.

Wing-back Alan Corr, who was sent off on a red card be­fore the end of the match, re­ceived a one month’s sus­pen­sion from the com­mit­tee.

Bray were beaten by 1-11 to 2-9.

Coolkenno’s Colm Walker is chal­lenged by Ger Fo­ley of Balt­in­glass dur­ing the SFC quar­ter-fi­nal in Aughrim.

(Photo: Garry O’Neill)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.