Stars start to fade

Bray People - - SPORT -

CELTIC STARS ti­tle and pro­mo­tion hopes seem to be with­er­ing with each pass­ing week af­ter the Drum­min side suf­fered their sec­ond league de­feat in three games on Sun­day.

Stars trav­elled to Fern­dale Park to take on eighth placed Ark­low United and the hosts put a dent in their op­po­nent’s pro­mo­tion hopes when John Mer­nagh struck in the sec­ond-half to se­cure the three points for his side.

That slip-up al­lowed Seav­iew Wan­der­ers to open up a four-point lead at the top of the ta­ble af­ter the Ark­low side beat Fas­saroe YC by two goals to one at the Ark­low Sports Cen­tre.

The sides went in dead­locked at 0-0 at the break but they opened the scor­ing soon af­ter the restart when Seav­iew cap­tain Mark O’Re­gan re­leased David Hughes with a clever slide-rule pass. Hughes then chipped the ball in from the right wing and Philip Or­mond was on hand to power home a header.

The vis­i­tors equal­ized in the 65th minute when Daniel McCann scored a free-kick from just out­side the area for the Bray side.

Wan­der­ers con­tin­ued to push for­ward in search of a pre­cious win­ner and they got their re­ward five min­utes from time when David Hughes was brought down in the penalty area and Mark O’Re­gan kept his com­po­sure to dis­patch the spot-kick.

Seav­iew Wan­der­ers would like to wish a speedy re­cov­ery to mid­fielder Ross Turner, who suf­fered an­kle lig­a­ment dam­age and the Ark­low side hope he is back in action as soon as pos­si­ble.

But that win for Seav­iew sets things up nicely for next Sun­day, when they take on third placed Avon­more FC.

Avon­more were in cup duty at the week­end but in the league they trail Wan­der­ers by eight points, with three games in hand so a win for ei­ther side next Sun­day could have a huge bear­ing on where the Divi­sion 2 crown goes at the end of the sea­son.

There was a big match at the other end of the ta­ble on Sun­day morn­ing when two of the bot­tom three locked horns. East­coast Al­bion trav­elled to St. Kevin’s with an un­der­strength side but still re­turned home to Grey­stones with a point af­ter draw­ing 3-3.

The Ea­gles raced into a 2-0 lead in­side the open­ing eight min­utes. First, By­ron Stone Hayes crossed from the right to Paul Thormby who lashed the ball home from six yards. Hayes then added a sec­ond for his side a few min­utes later when his cross-cum-shot looped over the Kevins keeper and into the back of the net.

The Laragh side won’t be go­ing down without a fight though and they pulled one back on 35 min­utes be­fore draw­ing level five min­utes later.

The vis­i­tors took the lead once again in the 65th minute Mikey Menka re­acted quick­est to fire the ball home af­ter a scram­ble in the area.

But the hosts showed great fight­ing spirit to come back once again and earn them­selves a point with an 80th minute strike.

Tommy Cullen (2) and Cathal Doyle were the goalscor­ers for the Laragh side on Sun­day.

Fi­nally, Bal­ly­waltrim FC climbed into the Char­lie Bishop Cup spots with a 2-0 win over Kil­coole side St. An­thony’s B.

Pádraig Devlin and Gra­ham Devlin net­ted for the Bray side.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.