Public removed from register get ‘no vote’
PROBLEMS WITH ELECTORAL REGISTER EXPRESSED
PROBLEMS WITH the electoral register need to be ironed out as some people who had voted for years had been removed from the register according to some councillors.
Cllr. John Brady raised concerns about the register saying ‘ the amount of people who found themselves without a vote on February 25 was terrible. I got a couple of dozen phone calls and these people had been get- ting election material but when they went to cast their vote they were told they had been removed from the register. We are dealing with about 1,000 people across the county. It has caused a massive amount of confusion.'
He said that as everyone had a PPS number from when they were born and there should a way to link the register in with this.
Cllr. Irene Winters said she too had received calls from people who were unable to vote. 'It is unfortunate that people have been disenfranchised'. She suggested that communication about the electoral register should be personally addressed to voters and the envelope should have 'your vote is at risk' written on it to highlight its importance.
Cllr. George Jones said '’egister has always been appalling even though the Department do spend a lot of money on advertising. We should look at it again and we need to have a look at the composition of the new register.'
Cllr. Nicky Kelly said ‘we are never going to have a full register unless we do like Cllr. Brady said and do it automatically'.
Cllr. Mick Glynn said ‘ the register seems to be a mess and you can see that by the amount of people who went on the supplementary register.'
Cllr. Pat Doran said ‘a lot of people don't fill out the forms because they have been voting all their lives at their address.'