Young guns beaten

Bray People - - SPORT -

THE MEN of Inchicore dis­patched the boys of Bray with ease in their Le­in­ster Se­nior Cup quar­ter-fi­nal en­counter on Mon­day night, writesDaniel Gor­man.

Pat Devlin made ten changes from Fri­day night as he fielded a Bray Wan­der­ers side with an av­er­age age of just 21 years of age, while Pete Ma­hon rested six of his starters from Fri­day but still had the lux­ury of be­ing able to call on League of Ire­land stal­warts like Chris Ben­nion, Stephen Bradley and Paul Crowley as re­place­ments.

And that ex­pe­ri­ence showed al­most im­me­di­ately. Mo­ments af­ter Bradley had sent a free-kick whistling over Brian Kane's cross­bar, Daryl Ka­vanagh set the Saints on the road to vic­tory when he latched onto Bradley's pass be­fore nick­ing the ball past the out­rush­ing Kane and rolling home into the empty net with just four min­utes on the clock.

The rest of the half re­mained largely like the Quins­boro road - one way traf­fic.

Pat's fans were scream­ing for a red card in the 22nd minute when debu­tant Stephen Last clum­sily felled Danny North as he looked to be through on goal but ref­eree Philip Cashcera de­cided a yel­low card was enough pun­ish­ment for the for­mer Cardiff City man. Bradley then forced Kane into a fine sprawl­ing save from the re­sul­tant free kick and the Rich­mond Park out­fit re­ally be­gan to bat­ter at the door af­ter that.

On 23 min­utes, Jor­dan Kee­gan slipped in Ian Ber­ming­ham but the left-back's ram­pag­ing run didn't end in a goal as his ef­fort drifted inches wide of the far post.

Two min­utes later goalscorer Ka­vanagh left Daire Doyle eat­ing his dust as he burst clear of the de­fender to set up an­other duel with Kane. The shot-stop­per won this battle though, with Ka­vanagh go­ing to ground af­ter his at­tempt to round Kane was foiled and Cashcera was hav­ing none of his ap­peals.

The vis­i­tors con­tin­ued to lay siege to Kane's goal but his team-mates were help­ing him out, with both Shane O'Con­nor and then Dean Zam­bra clear­ing off the line in a mat­ter of three min­utes.

Wan­der­ers man­aged to get to the half-time break with the one goal deficit and they then held out un­til the 61st minute un­til even­tu­ally suc­cumb­ing to the pres­sure.

Hav­ing made just made a sub­sti­tu­tion, Bray's minds were per­haps pre­oc­cu­pied when Stephen Bradley took a quick free-kick, putting the ball on a plate for Ian Daly and al­though his shot was blocked by Kane, the re­bound landed at his feet and at the sec­ond time of ask­ing, the at­tacker tapped home to dou­ble his side's lead.

So then it was 2-0 to the Saints. Where have we heard that be­fore? Surely Bray could not do it again? Well, no, they couldn't.

But they did be­gan to stamp their own au­thor­ity on the game in the lat­ter stages and en­joy some good spells of pos­ses­sion al­though they never tested Chris Ben­nion in the Saints' goal.

Philip Cashcera's fi­nal whis­tle con­firmed Wan­der­ers' exit from the competition in which they fin­ished as run­ners-up last sea­son, but it is one less worry for Pat Devlin and his in­ex­pe­ri­enced squad who now turn their at­ten­tions to the Sligo Rovers' visit to the Carlisle Grounds on Fri­day night.

Hav­ing tasted de­feat against Sham­rock Rovers on Satur­day night, Paul Cook's side will be keen to get back to win­ning ways, while the Seag­ulls will be hop­ing to build on Fri­day's mar­vel­lous re­sult in Rich­mond Park.

Some of Mon­day's play­ers may well have played their way into Devlin's mind for Fri­day, but Devlin will have to plan with­out Stephen Bren­nan and Gary Shaw.

Top Form: Stephen Bradley (St. Pa­trick's Ath­letic).

Shane O’Neill on the at­tack dur­ing the Le­in­ster Se­nior Cup game against St. Pat’s.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.