Res­cue teams called into moun­tain ac­tion


Bray People - - NEWS - ES­THER HAY­DEN

FIVE PEO­PLE were rescued in two sep­a­rate moun­tain res­cues last Sun­day.

At 11.35am the Dublin and Wicklow Moun­tain Res­cue Team and the Glen of the Imaal Ir­ish Red Cross Moun­tain Res­cue Team were con­tacted by the gar­daí af­ter a walker fell close to the Min­ers Vil­lage in Glen­dalough. The in­jured man who was in his 50s was de­scend­ing the zig-zag track into the Min­ers Vil­lage in Glen­dalough when he fell, in­jur­ing him­self.

He had been walking with his fam­ily when he tripped and fell, badly cut­ting his face and in­cur­ring a neck in­jury. He was met my mem­bers of the moun­tain res­cue teams where he was treated for his in­juries and sta­bilised with the help of An Garda Síochána.

Due to the na­ture of his in­jury, an Ir­ish Aer Corps heli­copter was tasked to his lo­ca­tion. How­ever, the heli­copter was un­able to com­plete an air­lift in Glen­dalough be­cause of the weather con­di­tions and high winds and in­stead routed to Laragh GAA pitch.

The man was trans­ported by road by a HSE am­bu­lance to the Laragh GAA pitch where a trans­fer was com­pleted at 2pm and he was flown to Tal­laght hospi­tal for fur­ther treat­ment.

Shortly af­ter at 2.20pm, the res­cue teams were called upon again by the gar­daí.

The teams were asked to come to the aid of four walk­ers, three men and a woman who had got­ten lost whilst de­scend­ing Lug- naquilla, Wicklow's high­est moun­tain. The walk­ers had split into two groups.

The sep­a­rate groups had both sum­mited the moun­tain and upon de­scent took a wrong turn and end up in the wrong val­ley. Both par­ties were due to de­scend into the Glen Of Imaal but de­scended into the Ow Val­ley.

The first group, a man and a woman in their 20s, hav­ing re­alised they were lost in very bad vis­i­bil­ity had alerted Moun­tain Res­cue say­ing they were lost. They then met the sec­ond group of two men. The two groups de­cided to stick to­gether as a group un­til they were met by Moun­tain Res­cue. The group were lo­cated us­ing the SARLOC cus­tom built moun­tain res­cue lo­ca­tion pro­gram with the use of their smart­phone.

Once lo­cated, a num­ber of team mem­bers were dis­patched to their lo­ca­tion where they were met and walked off the moun­tain to a wait­ing 4x4 ve­hi­cle. They were trans­ported back from the Ow Val­ley to their ve­hi­cles in the Glen of Imaal by 4pm.

The res­cue team whirls into ac­tion af­ter re­ceiv­ing an SOS call from the Wicklow Moun­tains.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.