Man jailed for post of­fice raid


Bray People - - NEWS -

AN EN­NISKERRY man was jailed for five and a half years at Wicklow Cir­cuit Court re­cently.

Mark Keogh ( 21), 66 Monastery Grove, En­niskerry pleaded guilty to rob­bing €4,985 from En­niskerry Post Of­fice with an­other per­son and while do­ing so putting Im­ran Ma­lik in fear of be­ing sub­jected to force on De­cem­ber 6, 2010.

He fur­ther pleaded guilty to rob­bing a case of Bud­weiser from the Cen­tra Off Li­cence on the Boghall Road and pos­ses­sion of a knife at the car park of Cen­tra, Boghall Road on Jan­uary 7, 2012.

In re­spect of the rob­bery at En­niskerry Post Of­fice Keogh was one of two men who en­tered the post of­fice with masks on shout­ing that they wanted money.

Keogh had a gun and pointed it at a staff mem­ber shout­ing ‘ give me ev­ery­thing’.

A to­tal of €4,985 was handed over dur­ing the rob­bery and both men left.

Mr. Ma­lik nor the other staff mem­ber were in­jured but both were very fright­ened by the rob­bery.

Keogh was ar­rested and ad­mit­ted point­ing the gun at staff de­mand­ing money.

He said he paid off a drug debt and had lost some money dur­ing the es­cape as he ran.

Keogh also ad­mit­ted to gar­dai that he had been part of a num­ber of peo­ple who had checked into the Ritz Carl­ton that night where they had spent the night drink­ing.

The gun in ques­tion was an un­li­cenced air ri­fle.

Keogh told gar­dai he was tak­ing ‘ bub­ble’ at the time which Garda O’Reilly said is a co­caine like drug.

In re­spect of the sec­ond mat­ter the court heard em­ployee Bren­dan Murphy was work­ing when Keogh came in with a knife say­ing it was an at­tempted hostage sit­u­a­tion.

He was ‘ ex­tremely ag­i­tated’ and Mr. Murphy was in fear of be­ing stabbed.

Keogh left the shop and went to the car park where he was ap­proached by the man­ager of Cen­tra, David Hem­pen­stall.

Keogh pointed the knife at Mr. Hem­pen­stall in a threat­en­ing man­ner say­ing ‘I’m only af­ter coming out of New­cas­tle’.

Keogh then went to Bal­ly­waltrim Play­ground where he started drink­ing the bot­tles of Bud­weiser and point­ing the knife in the di­rec­tion of gar­dai.

Keogh be­gan to self harm mak­ing su­per­fi­cial cuts to his fore­arm and the garda Re­gional Sup­port Unit was called in.

Keogh was re­strained at 3.05pm and ar­rested.

Dur­ing in­ter­view he said he had been feel­ing sui­ci­dal and was on med­i­ca­tion.

He said he ‘ wasn’t in the right state of mind and wanted to get help for the voices in his head’.

The court heard Keogh is cur­rently serv­ing a sen­tence and is due for re­lease in Jan­uary 2015. Keogh’s mother also gave ev­i­dence say­ing un­til he was 16 Keogh was no trou­ble but fol­low­ing a hol­i­day in Spain where he took ill he changed, first de­vel­op­ing anorexia and then be­com­ing very with­drawn.

She said his life had ‘ changed fun­da­men­tally’ af­ter that hol­i­day and he started get­ting into trou­ble.

Judge Michael O’Shea said all three in­ci­dents were very fright­en­ing for the vic­tims.

He sen­tenced him to three and a half years im­pris­on­ment for the rob­bery at the post of­fice and sen­tenced him to two years on each of the charges re­lat­ing to Jan­uary 7.

He di­rected the two two-year sen­tences run con­cur­rently but di­rectly it run con­sec­u­tively to the three and a half year sen­tence giv­ing a to­tal sen­tence of five and a half years.

Mark Keogh who was jailed for five and a half years on a num­ber of charges.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.