Wick­low halted by Clon­dalkin

Sec­onds en­joyed a su­perb year

Bray People - - SPORT -

WICK­LOW’S SEC­ONDS bowed out of the Sec­onds Cup on Sun­day af­ter a dis­ap­point­ing game against a pow­er­ful Clon­dalkin side.

Clon­dalkin sec­onds fin­ished third in Le­in­ster in the league and so were al­ways go­ing to be a stern test for Wick­low.

The vis­i­tors got off to a good start with a long range penalty af­ter 14 min­utes to make it 0-3.

19-year-old Shane Far­rar re­sponded with a fan­tas­tic long range ef­fort on the 20 minute mark to level mat­ters at 3-3. A sec­ond Clon­dalkin penalty made it 3-6 be­fore a dread­ful mix up in the Wick­low de­fence al­lowed Clon­dalkin to walk in un­der the posts. The con­ver­sion made it 3-13 at half­time. Wick­low started brightly in the sec­ond half and a Far­rar penalty made it 6-16.

Wick­low were try­ing a lit­tle too hard when chas­ing the game. They made some good head­way when they got the ball wide but as a rule were find­ing it hard to get over the gain­line against a well or­ga­nized Clon­dalkin de­fence.

Un­char­ac­ter­is­tic er­rors crept into Wick­low’s per­for­mance with knock ons and risky off­loads cough­ing up pos­ses­sion on sev­eral oc­ca­sions.

With 15 min­utes to go Clon­dalkin tacked on an­other penalty to make it 6-19 but Wick­low re­sponded well and got over in the cor­ner with a fine try by Dean Leonard to make it 11-19. The dif­fi­cult con­ver­sion would have put Wick­low within a score but it sailed nar­rowly wide.

Try as they might Wick­low couldn't get over for a nother score and Clon­dalkin closed out the game with a late penalty to make it 11-22.

Wick­low were very dis­ap­pointed to lose and a lit­tle un­happy with their per­for­mance.

They were up against an ex­cel­lent Clon­dalkin side that would be as strong as most clubs first XV.

Clon­dalkin prob­a­bly ad­justed to the ref­eree bet­ter than Wick­low. Wick­low con­ceded too many penal­ties which made it very dif­fi­cult to keep Clon­dalkin un­der sus­tained pres­sure.

Wick­low un­doubt­edly felt that, had they played to their po­ten­tial they could have won the game.

This was a dis­ap­point­ing end to what has been a very fine sea­son for Cap­tain Si­mon Nor­ton and coach Andrew Flood as well as all the coaches, man­age­ment team and the play­ers. A win in the South East League, third place in the Le­in­ster league and a quar­ter-fi­nal in the Towns Cup is a de­cent re­turn for this young side who will look to strengthen and kick on again next sea­son. Con­grat­u­la­tions and well done to all.

Wick­low RFC would like to wish David Hastie, Shane Far­rar, KK Beat­tie and the WRFC U-19s the very best of luck in the Le­in­ster Plate fi­nal against Dun­dalk next weekend.

Squad: Colm Lalor, Eanna Kileen, Sea­mus O'Brien, Liam Hughes, Si­mon Nor­ton, Niall Hig­gins, Steve Roberts, Stu­art Dono­hoe, Shane Byrne, Shane Far­rer, Alan Byrne, Ben Man­gan, Karl Townsend, Dean Leonard, Rus­sell Andrew, Shaun O'Brien, Dar­ren Kenny, Gavin Cox ,David Hastie, Den­nis Hig­gins, David Acres, Yuri Savchenko, Niall Doyle.

Wick­low's Sea­mus O'Brien is out­num­bered by the Clon­dalkin pack dur­ing the Sec­onds Towns Cup quar­ter-fi­nal in Ash­down lane. Pho­tos: Garry O’Neill.

Wick­low's Si­mon Nor­ton sets up an­other at­tack against Clon­dalkin.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.