Treacy sam­ples highs and lows

Bray People - - SPORT -

CORIE TREACY had a taste of the good, the bad and the ugly for Sham­rock Rovers B on Sun­day.

He set-up a goal, hit the wood­work and gave away a penalty on a busy af­ter­noon’s work for the de­fender against Cobh Ram­blers.

Treacy was not joined in the start­ing line-up by fel­low Bray man Chris Lyons, who re­mains side­lined by in­jury.

De­spite Lyons’ ab­sence, the Hoops ran out 3-1 win­ners and Treacy cre­ated the first; chip­ping a ball over the top for Emeka On­wu­biko and the for­mer Seag­ull lobbed Robert Bird­sall for his first strike of the sea­son.

Early in the sec­ond pe­riod, ref­eree Eoghan O’Shea deemed that the cen­tre half had han­dled in the penalty area and Robert Wa­ters con­verted the spot kick.

Treacy also made amends mo­ments later when he met Daniel Purdy’s deep cross but his header rat­tled the cross­bar.

De­spite the penalty, Rovers cruised to all three points to move seven points clear of the Cork side at the foot of the ta­ble.

They are now within a win of third spot, which would see them leapfrog Water­ford United and Long­ford Town in the process.

Water­ford hosted Finn Harps on Fri­day and col­lected a 2-0 win thanks to an­other fine shift from mid­fielder Shane Mur­ray.

Mur­ray’s 17th minute free kick lead to the opener. The Harps goal­keeper spilled Mur­ray’s dead ball and cen­tre half Paddy Bar­rett swept home the re­bound to set the hosts on their way to a com­fort­able vic­tory.

Long­ford Town once again called upon their wealth of Co. Wick­low im­ports as they res­cued a point against Galway FC.

Davy O’Sul­li­van, Wil­lie Tyrrell, Rhys Gor­man and Kevin O’Con­nor all started at the City Call­ing Sta­dium and it was O’Sul­li­van that opened the scor­ing; toe-pok­ing home in the 12th minute af­ter a scram­ble in the penalty area.

The vis­i­tors got back on level terms by the in­ter­val though and then took a late lead through Ryan Man­ning with nine min­utes to play.

It looked like Long­ford were head­ing for their third loss in seven games but in the last minute, Stephen Rice con­jured up a lev­eller to steal a share of the spoils for De Town.

Only two of the four Wick­low men com­pet­ing in the top flight en­joyed game time this week.

Danny Led­with con­tin­ued on the left wing for Sligo Rovers as they picked up a 0-3 at Thomond Park. Led­with lasted 76 min­utes against Lim­er­ick be­fore be­ing called ashore and re­placed by Danny North.

Hughie Dou­glas was the other man to get a taste of the ac­tion as UCD claimed a point at the Brandy­well. The cen­tre half played the full com­ple­ment as Rob­bie Benson gave the Stu­dents the lead on 35 min­utes, but Michael Duffy replied nine min­utes later and that’s how it fin­ished be­tween the Stu­dents and Derry City, for whom Aaron Barry failed to emerge from the sub­sti­tute’s bench.

Bo­hemi­ans also faced an ar­du­ous trip – trav­el­ling to Lee­side to take on Cork City. Ark­low’s Andy Mul­li­gan how­ever played no part as they picked up a point against the league lead­ers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.