Soccer news

Bray People - - COMMUNITY NEWS -

The un­der-10s faced Round­wood at home on Satur­day morn­ing and ran out 4-0 win­ners. It was a tight first half and the Glens went in 1-0 up at half time thanks to Luke Ho­nans goal. How­ever, they raised their game in the sec­ond half with fur­ther goals from Daniel Mor­aghan, Reuben wain­wright smith and Luke Ho­nan again. This was a great ef­fort by the de­fence who kept a clean sheet. Well done Me­gan Brad­shaw, Cian Red­dan and Reuben Wain­right Smith at the back while there was great bat­tling also from Tony Pren­der­gast who had his best game this sea­son up front.

The un­der-11s had 2 games last week. On Wed­nes­day night they got their Shield off to a good start with a 3-1 win over Wolfe Tone who were a league above Glens orig­i­nally. Michael Pren­der­gast got a sweet goal with two OG’s that nei­ther of the de­fend­ers could do any­thing about such as the qual­ity of the crosses from Kieren Grif­fith who whipped them into the box caus­ing all sorts of con­fu­sion. Then on Satur­day, it was a win­ner take all as they played Grey­tones United in a league ti­tle de­cider but sadly, de­spite a gal­lant ef­fort, the Glens were on the wrong side of a 5 – 4. This was a bril­liant game of foot­ball that un­for­tu­nately we lost in the end. The game started off in a high tempo from the op­po­si­tion and they went 2 up in the first 15 min­utes. But this lit­tle team didn’t do what most teams would do in this sit­u­a­tion and give up and hit back back to make it 2-2 be­fore the half time whis­tle af­ter a poach­ers fin­ish from Luke Ho­nan and great pres­sure from Conor Giles forced an OG from the Grey­stones de­fence. The sec­ond half started well with a su­per fin­ish from Kieren Grif­fith which put glens 3-2 up but they hit us on the break within a minute to make it 3-3. 2 more goals one a free kick and a fairly soft goal put Grey­stones in con­trol at 5-3 up with 5 min­utes to go but we still the Glens never gave up, Kieren grab­bing a beauty in the top cor­ner but it was too late to get it back. The kids were nat­u­rally dis­ap­pointed and a few tears shed but they are go­ing well in the league and have a Cup fi­nal v the same op­po­si­tion to look for­ward to so heads up kids.

The 12s also had 2 shield matches last week. On Wed­nes­day night they started their shield cam­paign with a 2-0 vic­tory over St An­thony’s in Ry­ders. Luke Kelly got the goal in the first half and Ro­han Byrne with a penalty in the sec­ond half gave the Glens a good start to the shield in a solid team per­for­mance. Then on Satur­day, they were very un­lucky to lose to 1-0 away to Carnew. The goal came from a penalty awarded but hope­fully the team can get back to win­ning ways in their next shield out­ing tonight (Wed­nes­day).

The se­nior team were away to Avon­more who are in sec­ond place in the league on Sun­day and recorded a very good 1-1 draw. Suf­fer­ing quite a few in­juries and play­ers work­ing, the Glens were stretched to the bone and trav­elled with the bare 11 play­ers but de­spite con­ced­ing a very du­bi­ous 65th goal, bat­tled back to take a share of the spoils with Si­mon Doyle net­ting the equaliser. Si­mon, Luke O’Cal­laghan and Niall Grif­fin were in ex­cel­lent form in a very good all-round team dis­play.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.