1. Which city is the seat of government of the Netherlands? A. Amsterdam, B. Rotterdam, C. Eindhoven, D. The Hague.
2. Who wrote the novels Emma and Persuasion? A. Emily Bronte, B. Mrs Gaskell, C. Jane Austen, D. Charlotte Bronte.
3. Which French poet was imprisoned for shooting his lover Arthur Rimbaud? A. Jean Trieste, B. Paul Verlaine, C. Michel Delaporte, D. Jaques Reno.
4. Fort William is at the head of which Scottish loch? A. Loch Lomond, B. Loch Rannoch, C. Loch Linnhe, D. Loch Ness.
5. Which former president of South Africa refused to appear before the Truth and Reconciliation Commission? A. P.W. Motha, B. P.W. Botha, C. P.W. Totha, D. P.W. Sotha.
6. Which courtier of Dionysius II of Syracuse was seated at a banquet beneath a sword suspended by a single hair? A. Hercules, B. Damocles, C. Theseus, D. Midas.
7. What part of the body is affected by dermatitis? A. The skin, B. The eyes, C. The heart, D. The lungs.
8. Which German engineer is credited with manufacturing the first car powered by an internal combustion engine? A. Claude Benz, B. Mercado Benz, C. Richard Benz, D. Karl Benz.
SOLUTIONS TO LAST WEEK’S PUB QUIZ:
1. B; 2. A; 3. C; 4. D; 5. B; 6. A; 7. D; 8. A