Youths admit burning community centre
TWO young teenagers have admitted to carrying out the arson attack which destroyed the St Columbanus Community Centre in Ballybrack recently.
Gardai confirmed this week that two 14-yearolds had been questioned in connection with the fire which destroyed the popular local centre a month ago.
They said that the matter was being dealt with under the National Juvenile Diversion Scheme (NJDS) for young offenders.
Bray-based Garda Superintendent Con Randles said that two teenagers who were brought in for questioning in connection with the incident had admitted responsibility.
He explained that they were not being dealt with through the courts because of their age, and because neither of the two defendants had been in trouble with the law before.
The St Columbanus Community Centre at Sheelin Avenue was extensively damaged in a blaze which broke out on the premises on Sunday night, May 8.
Provided to the local community eleven years ago by the Catholic Youth Council, the prefab centre included a large meeting hall, a number of smaller rooms, offices, toilets and a kitchen, and was widely used by the clubs, groups and associations in the Ballybrack area.
The local centre had been the target of vandals on a number of previous occasions, and only a month previously a local resident had rushed to the scene to put out a blaze which had been started maliciously.
A devastated local community are currently drawing up plans for major fundraising efforts to rebuild a centre in the locality.