Seag­ulls se­cure hard-fought win in Water­ford

Bray People - - SPORT -

lo­ran saw him cross for Mark O’Sul­li­van. The ball dropped be­hind the striker but found Kenny McEvoy at the back post but his dip­ping cross was well cleared.

O’Halloran was again in­volved min­utes later when he linked up well with Sander Puri, but the Es­to­nian in­ter­na­tional couldn’t find the tar­get with his strike.

Bray came into the game and Kevin Lynch be­gan to cause the Blues prob­lems – his cross on the quar­ter hour was met by the head of Pen­der but his over­head kick didn’t trou­ble Blues keeper Matthew Connor.

And Bray’s spell of pres­sure gave them the lead goal a minute later. Lynch again caused prob- lems down the left and his cross found Pen­der who headed past Matthew Connor to make it 1-0.

Lynch failed to com­plete the first half as he had to helped form the field of play af­ter pick­ing up an in­jury. Home­town boy Dy­lan Hayes was also bid­ding to win a con­tract and was sched­uled to play at right­back against Water­ford but he fell foul in the warm-up.

McEvoy had the Blues next chance but his ef­fort was saved by Cher­rie af­ter good work from O’Sul­li­van.

It was a qual­ity move that en­sure the Blues went in at the break level. Patrick McClean picked out the bril­liant run of Shane O’Connor with a pin­point pass. His cross found Tri­al­ist A at the back post who squared for O’Sul­li­van to fire into the back of Cher­rie’s net.

Aaron Greene hit the side net­ting for the vis­i­tors at the start of the sec­ond half af­ter a god low pass from Gary McCabe, be­fore the Blues had a great chance to turn the game around.

A good break­ing move saw O’Halloran and O’Sul­li­van link up well through the mid­dle, but O’Halloran just lost his foot­ing as he looked to play McEvoy through on goal on the left.

Bray looked the more dan­ger­ous from then on and took the lead as the game en­tered the fi­nal quar­ter. Dy­lan Con­nolly picked up pos­ses­sion down the left and fired a quick-fire strike past Connor to make it 2-1 to the vis­i­tors.

And Bray made sure of the win in the fi­nal min­utes with John Sul­li­van find­ing him­self free in the penalty area with five min­utes to go to make it 3-1.

WATER­FORD FC: 1. Matthew Connor; 2. Robin Dempsey, 5. Gary Delaney, 4. Patrick McClean, 3. Shane O’Connor; 7. Dean O’Halloran, 8. Tri­al­ist A, 6. Garry Comer­ford, 11. Kenny McEvoy; 10. Sander Puri (Tun­mise Sobowale 72), 9. Mark O’Sul­li­van. SUBS: An­thony McAlavey for Dempsey (55); Conor Whit­tle for O’Halloran (62); Tri­al­ist D for Connor (72); Tri­al­ist B for Delaney (72); Tri­al­ist C for Comer­ford (72); Owen Wall for McEvoy (72); Dean Walsh for O’Sul­li­van (72); Tun­mise Sobowale for Puri (72).

BRAY WAN­DER­ERS: 1. Peter Cher­rie; 2. Hugh Dou­glas, 4. Conor Kenna, 5. Derek Fo­ran, 19. Kevin Lynch; 23. Ja­son Marks, 8. Mark Salmon, 7. Ryan Brennan, 11. Gary McCabe; 9. Aaron Greene, 17. Ger Pen­der. SUBS: Alan Ke­hoe for Lynch (45); Tri­al­ist B for Cher­rie (55); Dy­lan Con­nolly for Marks (55); Jamie Ah­erne for Dou­glas (62); Keith Buck­ley for Brennan (62); John Sul­li­van for Pen­der (62); Dar­ragh Noone for McCabe (80); Karl Moore for Greene (80). REF­EREE: Pat O’Connor. VENUE: RSC, Water­ford.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.