Myles bet­ter from Laragh

Bray People - - SPORT -


WHEN Laragh man­ager Dec­cie Byrne looks back on this vic­tory over Barn­dar­rig, he might well con­sider his in­tro­duc­tion of Myles Con­way after 28 min­utes of the open­ing half as one of the key mo­ments in this en­ter­tain­ing en­counter in Ash­ford early last week.

Al­though Laragh’s re­cov­ery from a dis­as­trous open­ing 14 min­utes where they fell six points to no score be­hind to a deter­mined and im­pres­sive Barn­dar­rig out­fit – the turn­around be­ing thanks largely to the free-tak­ing of John Nolan – was well un­der­way by the 28th minute, Con­way’s in­tro­duc­tion brought a new en­ergy into the mid­dle third of the field and drove the Laragh men on to what was a ram­pag­ing per­for­mance in the sec­ond half that saw them hold Barn­dar­rig score­less for 30 min­utes of cham­pi­onship foot­ball.

That sec­ond half drought is what will be of huge con­cern to Barn­dar­rig.

Martin Cullen’s close in free after 31 min­utes of ac­tion was their only score of the sec­ond pe­riod, a half in which they were awarded roughly seven frees as op­posed to Laragh’s nine (roughly) by ref­eree An­thony Nolan, with only one of Laragh’s be­ing ‘soft’ as they say, that won by Myles Con­way.

Much of Barn­dar­rig’s prob­lems were aris­ing when they de­liv­ered that last ball to the in­side line.

On umpteen oc­ca­sions that last ball was woe­ful with ei­ther Gary Cullen, who had a su­perb sec­ond half, or Ross Doo­nan or Peter Mer­ri­gan emerg­ing with pos­ses­sion leav­ing Philip An­drew Kin­sella and Stephen Collins with lit­tle or no chance of har­vest­ing vi­tal scores.

A cold and heart­less au­topsy on this game would be that Barn­dar­rig owned the open­ing 14 min­utes where Martin Cullen and Jimmy Wal­dron re­ally im­pressed but that from then on it was the Laragh men who took over con­trol of this game with Con­way’s in­tro­duc­tion be­ing the se­cret in­gre­di­ent into a full de­served vic­tory.

The afor­men­tioned Cullen and Wal­dron teamed up for the open­ing score of this game and that was a re­ally out­stand­ing point from Wal­dron off his left after 50 sec­onds.

Damien Han­lon fouled Stephen

Collins two min­utes later and Jimmy Wal­dron did the nec­es­sary off his left and he added an­other be­fore Martin Cullen pointed a free from 44 yards out be­fore slot­ting an ac­tual 45 a few mo­ments later.

An ex­cel­lent Wal­dron score from play and one from Michael Cullen and Barn­dar­rig were in dream­land at 0-06 to no score with 13 min­utes gone.

Barn­dar­rig were em­ploy­ing a sweeper in the form of full-for­ward Keith Brad­shaw and over the course of the hour this ploy just didn’t pro­vide any real re­wards, in fact, if any­thing, it robbed Barn­dar­rig of an­other attacker.

Laragh even­tu­ally got off the mark after 14 min­utes through Keith Lawlor and it was from here that the game turned.

A foul on Steven Olo­han by full-back James Cullen, which also earned him a yel­low card, gave John Nolan his first chance from a free and he swung over the first of his eight-point tally, seven from frees, with im­pres­sive ease.

From ei­ther side of the field, Nolan showed real class from the dead ball and his pre-kick rou­tine is note­wor­thy. The Laragh man stands for a con­sid­er­able time like a gun­slinger in the Wild West about to en­gage in a deadly draw, knees slightly bent, hands out in front with the ball, he hops it twice, stead­ies and then strokes it over.

Nolan added all of Laragh’s re­main­ing scores in the open­ing half to leave it 0-07 to 0-06 at the break in favour of Barn­dar­rig with Wal­dron bag­ging Barn­dar­rig’s sev­enth. High drama early on in the sec­ond saw Jam­mie Roe save su­perbly from Mark Mi­ley from the penalty spot but mo­ments later smooth hands from Steven Olo­han sent Mi­ley through and he fired home past Roe with a sweet strike.

And from here on in it was all Laragh. With Myles Con­way and Damien Han­lon run­ning the show at mid­field and Olo­han and Mi­ley and Aaron Lynham look­ing ca­pa­ble with the ball and Peter Mer­ri­gan and Gary Cullen al­ways in con­trol

at the back, Barn­dar­rig, es­pe­cially with­out Michael Mur­phy, had no real an­swer to the chal­lenge in the sec­ond half.

– Laragh: John Nolan 0-08 (7f), Mark Mi­ley 1-00, Keith Lawlor 0-01, Steven Olo­han 0-01, Damien Han­lon 0-01.

Barn­dar­rig: Jimmy Wal­dron 0-04 (1f), Martin Cullen 0-03 (1f, 1 45), Michael Cullen 0-01.

James Nolan; Ross Doo­nan, Peter Mer­ri­gan, Ciaran Byrne; Craig McCoy, Gary Cullen, Andy Kenny; David McDon­ald, Damien Han­lon; John Nolan, Steven Olo­han, Aaron Lynham; Keith Lawlor, Mark Mi­ley, Ea­mon Kennedy. Subs: Myles Con­way for E Kennedy (28min);

Jamie Roe; Johnny Dev­ereux, James Cullen, Kevin Cullen; Nicky Sin­nott, Jac­ques McCall, Shane Whe­lan; Paul Ryan, Martin Cullen; Jimmy Wal­dron, Hughie Doyle, Michael Cullen; Philip An­drew Kin­sella, Keith Brad­shaw, Stephen Collins. Subs: Pa­trick Byrne for J McCall (46min); James Quinn for S Collins (56min).

An­thony Nolan (Balt­in­glass)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.