Danny saves the day with su­per score

Carnew and Glenealy fin­ish all square

Bray People - - SPORT - BREN­DAN LAWRENCE at Joule Park, Aughrim


THERE were two very dif­fer­ent per­spec­tives taken from this dra­matic draw in the Dacia Cars Se­nior Hurl­ing cham­pi­onship meet­ing of Glenealy and Carnew in Joule Park, Aughrim, last Satur­day evening.

Like all meet­ings of these two teams, there was plenty of drama and ex­cite­ment with a light dust­ing of con­tro­versy sprin­kled on top for good mea­sure.

If you were from Glenealy you’d be de­lighted with the fact that the 13 men who re­mained on the field from early in the se­cond half and who bat­tled so bravely were able to snatch a fully de­served draw against the old en­emy thanks to a stun­ning Danny Staunton free late on.

If you were from Carnew you’d prob­a­bly be re­lieved that this team, who have just not clicked this sea­son at all, had fi­nally put in a de­cent shift with the per­for­mance of Enda Dono­hue most likely be­ing the most pleas­ing as­pect with the free-taker har­vest­ing 11 of the tally of 14 and pro­duc­ing a fine show­ing from open play as well.

On the other hand, look­ing at it from the glass half empty per­spec­tive, a Glenealy sup­porter might la­ment the mo­men­tary lapse in dis­ci­pline that re­sulted in two men be­ing shown straight reds by ref­eree Jimmy Kelly while a Carnew dis­ci­ple might worry about the fact that even with two ex­tra men on the field they were ul­ti­mately un­able to put a resur­gent Glenealy to the sword.

The bright Au­gust sun was con­sid­er­ing its po­si­tion to the west when Gavin Weir stroked over a ma­jes­tic ef­fort from the stand side af­ter as few as 15 sec­onds of this cham­pi­onship clash.

Carnew were a fairly re­con­structed en­tity with John Wal­she man­ning the full-back po­si­tion, An­drew Hughes at cen­tre-half back, Enda Dono­hue at half back, Seanie Kin­sella join­ing Con­all McCrea at mid­field and Liam Kennedy brought some phys­i­cal­ity to the full-for­ward berth ei­ther side of Wayne Kin­sella and the ca­pa­ble Timmy Collins.

Glenealy were un­able to profit from the tal­ents of Leighton Glynn while Martin O’Brien, Padraig Do­ran and Gra­ham Keogh were non-run­ners for Tom Darcy’s side.

Enda Dono­hue grabbed the first of his tally when Danny Staunton was said to have over­car­ried af­ter he found him­self en­cased in the lov­ing arms of Robert Lam­bert and Jack Doyle.

Dono­hue fairly split the posts as he be­gan a de­cent shift from a po­si­tion that seems to suit him bet­ter than any­thing be­yond the half-way line.

Dono­hue wasn’t the only class free-taker on the field. Jonathan ‘Bosco’ O’Neill prowled from mid­field and he re­turned Glenealy to the lead with a su­perb ef­fort from half­way. ‘Bosco’ ju­nior showed lovely hands to point un­der pres­sure mo­ments later to make it 0-03 to 0-01 with five gone.

Four Enda Dono­hue points sent Carnew ahead by 0-05 to 0-03 on the quar­ter-hour mark be­fore Danny Staunton made use of Jimmy Kelly’s ad­van­tage to split the posts with a fine ef­fort. Staunton and War­ren Ka­vanagh were very im­pres­sive early on with Ka­vanagh hav­ing yet an­other su­perb day at full-back.

Then things started to heat up. A long ball from Jonathan O’Neill was gath­ered su­perbly by Wil­lie Collins and as he emerged he was con­fronted by Alan Driver and the two tan­gled, with Driver hit­ting the ground and Collins protest­ing to Jimmy Kelly about in­ter­fer­ence with his face­guard. Af­ter con­sul­ta­tion with his um­pires, Kelly is­sued two yel­low cards.

Mo­ments later the ball was worked up the field by Carnew to Dan Nolan who was be­ing closely mon­i­tored by Gary Byrne. The pair were joined by Tommy Doyle and Con­all McCrea down un­der the stand and a loose swing prompted Jimmy Kelly to sig­nal a free to Carnew.

In the fol­low­ing mo­ments an in­ci­dent oc­curred, not wit­nessed by this re­porter, but for which Gary Byrne was shown a straight red card by Jimmy Kelly. Dono­hue pointed the free to make it 0-06 to 0-04 for Carnew but all of a sud­den Glenealy at­tacked and John Man­ley got on the end of a ball bro­ken by Alan Driver and he lashed home past Michael Collins. Game well and truly on.

Jonathan O’Neill jnr in­creased that lead with a rip­per of a point, show­ing lovely wrists and a neat turn, as Carnew as­signed the ex­tra man re­spon­si­bil­i­ties to Wil­lie Collins.

Three clas­sic Dono­hue strikes res­cued the sit­u­a­tion for Carnew and made it 0-09 to 1-05 af­ter 30 min­utes and that’s how they headed for the half-time break with a very en­ter­tain­ing se­cond half on the cards for the small crowd in Joule Park, Aughrim.

We were five min­utes into the se­cond half when the drama re­turned.

A tus­sle for pos­ses­sion be­tween Timmy Collins and Ruairi O’Neill should have ended with the sound of Jimmy Kelly’s whis­tle but there was a late swing and a tangling down on the side­line on the dugout side of the Red­nagh Hill end and, af­ter con­sult­ing with lines­man Paul Porter, Jimmy Kelly is­sued Timmy Collins with a yel­low card but flashed a red in the di­rec­tion of Ruairi O’Neill.

You might have ex­pected Carnew to push on from here and dom­i­nate pro­ceed­ings but Glenealy weren’t go­ing to fold.

Robert Lam­bert pointed sweetly for Carnew be­fore a ‘Bosco’ free and one from play took the bad look off the deficit at 0-11 to 1-07 with 14 gone.

A Wayne Kin­sella point was fol­lowed by two con­verted frees from ‘Bosco’ to level mat­ters be­fore Danny Staunton started to re­ally make his mark on the game and he bagged two from play and an out­stand­ing free ei­ther side of Enda Dono­hue’s last point for Carnew to leave the score at 1-11 to 0-14 at the fi­nal whis­tle.

Carnew will be de­lighted with their over­all per­for­mance. John Wal­she proved very ca­pa­ble at full­back. Wil­lie Collins was su­perb, An­drew Hughes was ca­pa­ble, Seanie Kin­sella brought a dis­tri­bu­tion to the mid­field that hasn’t been avail­able to any great ex­tent to date while Robert Lam­bert, Timmy Collins and Wayne Kin­sella are of­fer­ing some­thing in at­tack.

Glenealy were very un­happy with some of Jimmy Kelly’s de­ci­sions on the day but they were very well served by War­ren Ka­vanagh who was out­stand­ing. Danny Staunton was his cre­ative self, Tommy Doyle was dom­i­nant and Jonathan O’Neill showed his true class at times. They did miss the killer in­stinct up front with­out Leighton Glynn but they are still the only real chal­lengers to the Bray march as we head for the knock out stages.

Scor­ers – Carnew Emmets: Enda Dono­hue 0-11 (10f, 1 65), Robert Lam­bert 0-01, Wayne Kin­sella 0-01, An­drew Hughes 0-01.

Glenealy: Jonathan O’Neill 0-05 (4f), Danny Staunton 0-03 (1f), Jonathan O’Neill jnr 0-02, John Man­ley 1-00, Gavin Weir 0-01.

Glenealy: Keith Snell; Ruairi O’Neill, War­ren Ka­vanagh, Em­met Byrne; Gary Byrne, Danny Staunton, Lee Ka­vanagh; Jonathan O’Neill, Tommy Doyle; Gavin Weir, Robert Byrne, Enan Glynn; John Man­ley, Alan Driver, Jonathan O’Neill jnr. Subs: Jamie Byrne for G Weir (36min), James Man­ley for J O’Neill jnr (49min), Gary Hughes for A Driver (70min)

Carnew Emmets: Michael Collins; Aaron Kin­sella, John Wal­she, Wil­lie Collins; Oisin Fur­long, An­drew Hughes, Enda Dono­hue; Seanie Kin­sella, Con­all McCrea; Dan Nolan, Robert Lam­bert, Jack Doyle; Timmy Collins, Liam Kennedy, Wayne Kin­sella. Subs: Drew Bren­nan for T Collins (43min); Cor­mac Byrne for C McCrea (60 min), Don Hy­land for D Nolan.

Ref­eree: Jimmy Kelly (Knock­ananna)

Carnew’s physio Maire Do­ran con­ducts run­ning re­pairs on Robert Lam­bert dur­ing the SHC clash with Glenealy.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.