Late mon­ster free helps Pat’s to pre­cious scalp


Bray People - - SPORT -


WITH the last puck of the ball, John ‘Dee’ O’Brien hit a mon­ster free from 80 me­tres straight over the black spot to se­cure vic­tory for his side in the In­ter­me­di­ate cham­pi­onship on a wet and mis­er­able Sun­day morn­ing.

It seemed like the most un­likely vic­tory given events dur­ing the first half when Bray led by four points at one stage and dom­i­nated pro­ceed­ings all over the field. A for­tu­itous enough goal in the twen­ti­eth minute brought it back to within a point but St Pat’s were well worth their vic­tory with a fan­tas­tic se­cond half per­for­mance, per­son­i­fied by James ‘Bon­ner’ O’Brien.

O’Brien was to­tally out­played by Karl Lacey in the first half, let­ting the Bray cen­tre back dic­tate the match. He was ex­cel­lent in the se­cond half though with four points from play as he ei­ther cre­ated chances by run­ning straight at the Bray de­fence or by pop­ping over a few long range beau­ties.

St Pat’s also did well to curb the in­flu­ence of Bray’s cen­tre for­ward Wil­lie Keane who hit two first half points and a cou­ple of wides. He was float­ing around pick­ing up ball here and there in the open­ing pe­riod but he barely hit a ball in anger in the se­cond half.

Hav­ing said all of that, the two point dif­fer­ence be­tween the teams came down to two ‘Dee’ O’Brien frees. On three oc­ca­sions Bray play­ers com­mit­ted the most in­nocu­ous tech­ni­cal foul, drop­ping their hurl to give a hand pass, and twice ‘Dee’ O’Brien pun­ished them with con­verted frees, in­clud­ing his mon­ster at the end.

It didn’t look like it would be so close at all how­ever when Bray led by seven points to three in the twen­ti­eth minute. Wil­lie Keane got the first score of the game only for Christy Moore­house and Niall Han­lon to re­ply with a cou­ple of great ef­forts.

Then Bray took con­trol, win­ning the bat­tle around the mid­field area and scor­ing six of the next seven points. The pick of the bunch was Wil­lie Robin­son’s ef­fort when Tom Cash played a won­der­ful cross field pass to him in space.

St Pat’s came back into the match with a goal through full for­ward Ge­orge O’Brien. A line ball dropped un­der the bar and while Eoin Ma­son caught the slio­tar he let it drop and O’Brien was on hand to hit the net.

The teams traded points to­wards the end of the half and were level at half time, 9 points to 1-06.

They also traded a few wides to be­gin the se­cond half and took a while to find the tar­get. ‘Dee’ O’Brien slot­ted over a free to give Pat’s the lead only for Tom Cash to hit four points in a row, one of which was a goal chance de­flected over the bar by Michael O’Brien.

Back came Pat’s with four of their own, ‘Bon­ner’ O’Brien with three of them. He al­most got a goal too but had to set­tle for a point.

That put Pat’s into the lead by a point, 1-11 to 13, with thir­teen min­utes to go and cor­ner for­ward John O’Brien had a chance to ex­tend the lead. Karl Lacey was in no mood for that to hap­pen though and he won­der­fully blocked his shot. With pos­ses­sion won again Bray’s Luke O’Reilly took a shot from dis­tance for a point which didn’t have the de­sired length. Michael O’Brien should have eas­ily taken it but he let it drop over his line and Bray were back in the lead. It was a poor mis­take by O’Brien who made two good saves ear­lier in the half.

Pat’s re­sponded with a cou­ple of points to level be­fore Tom Cash con­verted a free for Bray’s fi­nal point of the morn­ing. That set up an ex­cit­ing fi­nal few min­utes and ‘Dee’ O’Brien hit over a free from the mid­dle of the field to level. Sub­sti­tute Jim O’Brien scored from play as time was al­most up to give them the lead be­fore Bray went in search of an equaliser. Dar­ragh Maloney had pos­ses­sion in mid­field and while hand pass­ing to a team­mate he dropped his hurl, con­ced­ing a free.

From about 80 me­tres, ‘Dee’ O’Brien split the posts and St Pat’s picked up their se­cond win of the In­ter­me­di­ate cham­pi­onship. Both teams now have one match left to play in the group stages be­fore they go into the quar­ter fi­nal.

Scor­ers – St Pat’s: John O’Brien (6f) 0-07; James O’Brien 0-04; Ge­orge O’Brien 1-00; John O’Brien 0-02; Niall Han­lon, Christy Moore­house, Jim O’Brien 0-01 each.

Bray Emmets: Tom Cash (3f, 1 65) 0-09; Luke O’Reilly 1-02; Wil­lie Keane 0-02; Wil­lie Robin­son 0-01.

St Pat’s: Michael O’Brien; John O’Brien, De­nis O’Brien, Thomas Ke­hoe; Dale Quinn, Shane Doyle, An­drew Con­way; Niall Han­lon, Ge­orge O’Brien; John “Dee” O’Brien, James O’Brien, Christy Moore­house; Anto Mur­phy, Ge­orge O’Brien, John O’Brien. Subs: Jim O’Brien for Anto Mur­phy (HT); Jim O’Brien for Jim O’Brien (55 mins).

Bray Emmets: Eoin Ma­son; Barry Cowan, Ro­nan O’Brien, Sean Maloney; Paddy Lee, Karl Lacey, Michael Walsh; Dar­ragh Maloney, Ben McCor­mack; Luke O’Reilly, Wil­lie Keane, Wil­lie Robin­son; Tom Cash, Liam Kenny, Brian Dug­gan. Subs: Ryan Ty­nan for Wil­lie Robin­son (35 mins); Shane An­ders for Brian Dug­gan (57 mins).

Ref­eree: Ciaran Man­ley

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.