‘Jem’ saves the day for Rath­new

Bray People - - SPORT - ALAN NOLAN JBFC at Rath­new


RATH­NEW have been a force to be dealt with in the county for many a year and you can see why as 22 play­ers warmed up on Thurs­day night last to take on Dunlavin in the JBFC and, take note, this is their third team.

As the teams lined out there was go­ing to be two men to watch, Mick Murtagh with 14 on his back for Dunlavin and Alan Clarke wear­ing the num­ber three for Rath­new.

The game started in favour of the visi­tors as Niall Fa­herty con­verted an early free.

Jem Hunter lined out at full-for­ward again and was marked by county Mi­nor Conor Deer­ing.

The first ball that Hunter got was deemed to be han­dled on the ground by the ref­eree but then, with 10 min­utes on the clock, Byran Mur­phy got through on goal only for the keeper Bran­don O’Rourke to pull off a se­ri­ous save to tip it out for a 45.

Up came that man again, John ‘Pie­man’ Sayer to con­vert on his se­cond at­tempt but was can­celled out when Shane O’Rourke kicked in a long ball which no one con­tested and it bounced over the bar.

With Rath­new start­ing to dom­i­nate, Mick Murtagh moved him­self out the field to try get him­self on the ball but still could not stop the busy Mick Nolan as he de­liv­ered a peach of a ball into Keith Doyle who this time made no mis­take about con­vert­ing his goal chance.

Dunlavin should have had a goal of their own when stylish wing for­ward Niall Fa­herty split the de­fence only to hit the side net­ting.

The half-time score read 1-4 to 0-4 to Rath­new. Dunlavin brought in Ed­die Dee­gan and he was like a man on a mis­sion and made an im­pact straight away with a solo run, a one-two with Murtagh and we had a goal af­ter just three min­utes.

Rrath­new were then dealt an­other blow when then lost Luke Cor­co­ran to a knee in­jury that he picked up in the first half.

Murtagh was start­ing to show his ex­pe­ri­ence and handed off an­other ball to Ed­die Dee­gan for a point but Hunter was at it at the other end and he got through on goal and was brought down by Ro­nan Byrne who picked him­self up a yel­low card for his trou­bles.

Nigel Dar­ragh kicked the free and right af­ter that Brian Mur­phy added an­other.

It was end to end stuff at this stage and Dee­gan bagged an­other 1-2 since he ar­rived on the field.

Hunter set up Keith Doyle to keep the scor­ing tick­ing over for the Vil­lage men and with the game com­ing to a close it was Mick Murtagh who got him­self a brace of points to put the west men a point up with only min­utes left.

Rath­new got one fi­nal at­tack to­gether and it was the hero from the last day, Jem Hunter, who man­aged to find the space to kick the equaliser and this very en­ter­tain­ing game fin­ished at 1-11 each.

Ref­eree: Matt Dowling

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.