Gle­nealy see off St Pa­trick’s

Com­fort­able for the Reds

Bray People - - SPORT -


DE­SPITE play­ing the fi­nal 20 min­utes with 14 play­ers, Gle­nealy won out com­fort­able seven point win­ners over St Pa­trick’s in this well con­tested In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship semi-fi­nal played at Pearse’s Park, Ark­low on Satur­day last.

St Pat’s made the early run­ning in the first half and were ahead by 0-4 to 0-2 after 15 min­utes.

Dale Quinn had opened their ac­count with an out­field pointed free after four min­utes.

Johnny Car­ton added an­other point from way out on the wing five min­utes later while Ge­orge O’Brien con­verted two frees.

Gle­nealy’s re­sponse came from two Alan Con­yard frees and the same player re­duced the mar­gin to the min­i­mum with an­other pointed free after 18 min­utes.

Cor­ner-for­ward Gary Hughes lev­elled mat­ters after 20 min­utes but St Pat’s went back in front when Andy O’Brien squeezed over a point from a tight an­gle six min­utes short of the break.

Ge­orge O’Brien added an­other from a free. Al­most from the puck out, Gle­nealy won a free in mid­field.

The free was landed in on top of Wayne O’Gor­man, who fielded a splen­did catch on the end line. He sent a great pass out­field to the un­marked Alan Con­yard who stretched the net from 15 me­tres.

The hard­work­ing mid­fielder Ro­nan Manley pointed on 30 min­utes but Ge­orge O’Brien again pointed to leave the min­i­mum be­tween the teams at the break. Gle­nealy were ahead 1-5 to 0-7.

They stretched this lead to five points within a minute of the res­tart.

A long puck from mid­field was mis­judged by two de­fend­ers in the full-back line.

Garry Hughes found him­self in pos­ses­sion in splen­did iso­la­tion, ten me­tres out. He made no mis­take.

Straight from the puck out Aaron Meade added on an­other point.

A Ge­orge O’Brien pointed free was re­sponded to by Alan Con­yard after 10 min­utes. At this stage Gle­nealy lost Wes­ley Manley to a red card.

How­ever, there was lit­tle sign of panic in their ranks. Mathew Traynor moved into cen­tre-back, mid­fielder Ro­nan Manley cov­ered acres of ground and Alan Con­yard dropped fur­ther out­field to fill the space.

Con­yard had three points over the next 10 min­utes to help main­tain the lead.

Sub­sti­tute John O’Brien from play, and two pointed frees from Dale Quinn and Ge­orge O’Brien kept Pat’s in touch but they never looked like over haul­ing the Gle­nealy men.

A great save by Cor­mac Ger- aghty helped to keep Gle­nealy safely in front.

Wayne O’Gor­man pointed in the last minute and then in added time he goaled, some­thing he had threat­ened on sev­eral oc­ca­sions through­out the game.

Pat’s fi­nal score came with a point from Johnny Car­ton when he rat­tled a close in shot over off the cross­bar with prac­ti­cally the fi­nal puck of the game.

Just be­fore the end of the games, St Pat’s lost cor­ner for­ward Paul Mur­phy to a sec­ond yel­low card. Gle­nealy were de­serv­ing win­ners by 3-11 to 0-13.

Scor­ers – Gle­nealy: Alan Con­yard 1-7, Garry Hughes 1-1, Wayne O’Gor­man 1-1, Ro­nan Manley 0-1, Aaron Meade 0-1.

St Pa­trick’s: Ge­orge O’Brien 0-7, Dale Quinn 0-2, Johnny Car­ton 0-2, Andy O’Brien 0-1, John O’Brien 0-1.

Cor­mac Geraghty; Colm O’Neill, M A O’Neill, Ste­fan O’Brien; Matthew Traynor, Wes­ley Man­ning, Tony Doyle; Ro­nan Manley, De­clan Con­yard; Aaron Meade, Eoin O’Neill, Paul O’Brien; Alan Con­yard, Wayne O’Gor­man, Gary Hughes. Subs – Stephen Coady for Aaron Meade, Gavin Byrne for De­clan Con­yard, Vinny Fla­herty for Alan Con­yard, Liam de Hora for Eoin O’Neill.

Michael O’Brien; Christy Moore­house, De­nis O’Brien, Thomas Keogh; Ro­nan Con­nolly, Dale Quinn, John O’Neill; Ge­orge O’Brien, Shane Mor­ley; Johnny Car­ton, Tom Berry, John O’Brien; Paul Mur­phy, Andy O’Brien, Ge­orge O’Brien.

Matt Dowl­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.