Residents’ disgust at detergent is poured into stream
DOMESTIC detergent was poured into Swan River, a tributary of the Dargle, in recent weeks.
Locals were disgusted to discover that there was a foamy substance in the water at Herbert Road earlier this month.
‘It’s not the first time we’ve seen pollution like this in the Swan River,’ said a resident of the area. ‘It’s curious that it was released just before close of business on a Friday – when whoever did this might have been confident there wouldn’t be time for council officials to trace its source.’
The stream runs into the Dargle and towards the harbour.
Another Bray woman contacted Inland Fisheries, who responded to her report quickly. They attended the area and took samples before contacting the Bray resident to confirm that tests concluded it was caused by a domestic detergent.
They did not know how the substance had entered the water.
The tests also showed all life in the river from the bed to the fish seemed to have gone unharmed this time.
Inland Fisheries passed the matter over to the Wicklow County Council environment section.
Inland Fisheries took samples and determined that the foam on the Swan River (above) was caused by domestic detergent.