Fam­ily dev­as­tated af­ter bur­glars flee with Jackie’s All-Ire­land ‘trea­sure’

Drogheda Independent - - FRONT PAGE - By HUBERT MUR­PHY

THE fam­ily of one of Louth’s he­roes of their last All-Ire­land win in 1957 have been left dev­as­tated af­ter his medal was stolen in a break in.

Jackie Reynolds (right) was part of the Louth squad that an­nexed Sam Maguire 60 years ago this month.

He sadly passed away three years ago and since then the fam­ily have kept his All-Ire­land and pro­vin­cial sil­ver­ware close to their hearts.

But their world was turned up­side down late last week when bur­glars made off with both medals. The medals are price­less to the fam­ily and they just want them back.

They were made into neck­laces and the fam­ily would dearly love to see them re­turned.

A FAM­ILY has been left dev­as­tated af­ter the 1957 All-Ire­land Fi­nal medal won by Drogheda man Jackie Reynolds was stolen dur­ing a bur­glary last week.

Thieves made off with both the unique ‘57 medal and a Le­in­ster medal.

The medals were on neck­laces that Jackie had spe­cially made so the iconic medals could be passed down the gen­er­a­tions.

Now, a search has be­gun in a bid to track down the rare items.

The fam­ily have ap­pealed for any in­for­ma­tion that might lead to the re­cov­ery of the medals that are ‘price­less’ to them.

Jackie passed away at the age of 79 some three years ago and was re­garded as one of the town’s top foot­ballers.

A Pearse Park na­tive, he be­gan his GAA life with the CBS team, mov­ing on to Lour­des Rangers and then the Tredaghs. Later, life would take him to the Mag­da­lene’s and then se­nior with Dan O’Neill at St Do­minic’s.

Af­ter help­ing the Plun­kett’s to their SFC suc­cess in 1957, he would move on again to the Mhuire’s and then win­ning SFC hon­ours with the New­town Blues in 1962 and 1963.

He won over a dozen ti­tles in his time on the GAA fields in a ca­reer that spanned al­most 30 years, his last game in 1978 against Lannleire.

But it was his de­ci­sion to play a sum­mer league soc­cer match with his work­mates that dom­i­nated his life for three sea­sons in the mid-50s when he was at the height of his game.

The story goes that he was play­ing in the NFL 1955/56 with the county and do­ing well. They played Kil­dare in the 1956 cham­pi­onship and were beaten.

At the time, he was work­ing in Ush­ers and they had a fine soc­cer team. Af­ter a few ap­peals from work­mates, he lined out for them in one game and was spot­ted and re­ported. He was just 21 at the time.

He was sus­pended im­me­di­ately from the GAA, but Drogheda Utd signed him and the chance of a trial with English side Bris­tol Rovers came up.

But the GAA called again and he joined the Oliver Plun­kett’s at the start of the 1957 sea­son, a defin­ing one for the club. They won the league and then a first SFC, star­ring with Peadar Smith in mid­field.

Louth brought him back for the All-Ire­land fi­nal and he would con­tinue to play for the county un­til 1963.

Jackie (back sec­ond left) with some of his col­leagues from that 1957 win, Dan O’Neill, Jim Judge, Tom Con­lon and Ol­lie Reilly. Front, Frank Lynch, Kevin Bea­han, Sea­mus O’Don­nell and Der­mot O’Brien. Right: Jackie in later years.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.