Rath­nure bring an end to Oyle­gate’s win­ning run

Enniscorthy Guardian - - SPORT - DAVID MEDCALF


THE tra­di­tional or­der of things was even­tu­ally as­serted at Belle­field on Satur­day where the aris­to­crats of Rath­nure ended the evening two goals ahead of the up­starts from Oyle­gate.

The boys in blue dis­played much to ad­mire in the first three-quar­ters of a match which was tied af­ter 45 min­utes of en­ter­pris­ing play.

How­ever, they were then given a les­son in how to close out a con­test by the canny gen­tle­men from the Black­stairs who pulled re­lent­lessly away at the death.

Once be­hind, Oyle­gate showed all the symp­toms of panic and found that there is more to tac­tics than putting your best player on the edge of the square and lump­ing the ball in his gen­eral di­rec­tion.

On a night when a de­cent size crowd came to En­nis­cor­thy to ad­mire two sides al­ready sure of their places in the quar­ter-fi­nals, that player Podge Do­ran was at the heart of much of the first half ac­tion.

The big man, with the nip­pier Sea­mus Casey and Jamie Reck as his al­lies, had Rath­nure on the de­fen­sive and liv­ing off the free-tak­ing of Jack Guiney for much of the first half.

Then, shortly be­fore the in­ter­val, much of Oyle­gate’s good work was un-done as cor­ner for­ward Bren­dan O’Leary was al­lowed the free­dom of the park to pick his spot in the net be­hind John Fo­ley.

Af­ter be­ing four points adrift and clearly strug­gling, the even­tual win­ners found them­selves a mere one be­hind at the break, hav­ing reg­is­tered just three scores from play.

They re-emerged with much greater pur­pose and clearly in­tent on up­ping their game, trading point for point through­out the third quar­ter which ended with a bal­anced score­line of 1-13 to 0-16.

Then came the goal which tilted the bal­ance em­phat­i­cally Rath­nure’s way, Ben Ro­nan tak­ing the ball at speed through a back-ped­alling de­fence to give Fo­ley no chance with a smartly struck shot.

The pur­pose­ful ap­proach which had marked their op­po­nents’ play then dis­in­te­grated and, given room to run riot, Michael Red­mond sud­denly looked like a world beater as he struck a brace of late points with gusto as Rath­nure ex­tended their ad­van­tage to six.

Noth­ing wit­nessed at Belle­field sug­gested that Oulart or the Martin’s should be quak­ing in their boots but this was a de­cent ex­hi­bi­tion of hurl­ing all the same.

Rath­nure: Der­mot Flynn, De­nis Ma­her, Brian Quigley, An­thony O’Con- nell; Paddy Whit­ley, Eoin Bog­gan, Ai­dan Red­mond; Richie Flynn, De­clan Fo­ley; Ciaran O’Con­nor, Jack Guiney (0-9, 7 frees and 2 65’s), Shane Lawlor (0-1); Bren­dan O’Leary (1-0), Micheál Red­mond (0-5), Syl Bar­ron. Subs: Ben Ro­nan (1-0) for Red­mond 15 min­utes; Seanie Red­mond for O’Con­nor 45 min­utes; Rory Hig­gins (0-1) for O’Leary 45 min­utes; Rory Hig­gins (0-1) for Lawlor 45 min­utes.

Oyle­gate-Glen­brien: John Fo­ley, Ciaran Houri­hane, Michael Hef­fer­nan, Mike Kelly; Bryan McCor­mack, Damien Reck, Shane Reck; Mark Ka­vanagh, Fer­gus Hef­fer­nan; Podge Do­ran (0-4), Jamie Reck (0-2), Marty Kelly (0-1); Conor Hef­fer­nan, Jim White (0-3), Sea­mus Casey (0-6, 3 frees and a 65). Subs: Conor Doyle for C Hef­fer­nan 30 min­utes; Tom White (0-1) for F Hef­fer­nan.

Ref­eree: John Car­ton (Mon­ageer-Boolavogue).

Rath­nure’s Eoin Bog­gan launches a bomb dur­ing the Pet­titt’s SHC clash with Oyle­gate-Glen­brien.

Rath­nure’s Ciaran O’Con­nor col­lides with Oyle­gate-Glen­brien’s Mike Kelly at Belle­field.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.