Frank was a re­spected fam­ily man

Enniscorthy Guardian - - NEWS -

PEO­PLE through­out En­nis­cor­thy were sad­dened to learn of the pass­ing of Frank Ar­ri­gan who passed away on Wed­nes­day, Oc­to­ber 3, fol­low­ing a long ill­ness.

A re­tired Garda, Mr Ar­ri­gan, who lived at Gort na Gréine, The Moyne, En­nis­cor­thy, was orig­i­nally from Clon­mel in Co Tipperary.

Born on Oc­to­ber 1, 1943, he came from a very re­spectable fam­ily and friends and neigh­bours from his na­tive county who trav­elled to En­nis­cor­thy for his fu­neral mass on Fri­day were wel­comed by Fr Billy Swan.

Fr Swan also ac­knowl­edged one of Mr Ar­ri­gan’s daugh­ters-in-law who was un­able to at­tend in per­son but was view­ing the fu­neral from Aus­tralia on the St Ai­dan’s Cathe­dral we­b­cast of the ser­vice.

Cur­rent and for­mer mem­bers of the Gar­dai who were in at­ten­dance were also wel­comed by Fr Swan as well as Mr Ar­ri­gan’s many friends and neigh­bours from the Moyne.

Dur­ing the cer­e­mony Mr Ar­ri­gan’s son, Conor, paid trib­ute to his fa­ther who was a de­voted fam­ily man.

When he was young he wanted to fol­low in the foot­steps of his older brother, Brian, into the Gar­dai, How­ever, when he first ap­plied in the early 1960s he was a lit­tle too short for the re­quired height.

He then went to Lon­don and while there he took up a job as a bus con­duc­tor for a year. He re­turned again to Ire­land and re-ap­plied for the Gar­dai and this time he was suc­cess­ful.

He spent some time posted in Dublin but was then as­signed to var­i­ous sta­tions around Co Wex­ford in­clud­ing New Ross and Car­rig-on-Ban­now.

He was also posted to Rath­drum be­fore even­tu­ally com­ing to En­nis­cor­thy where he would re­main un­til he re­tired af­ter a polic­ing ca­reer of 30 years.

In 1972, he met the love of his life, Mary, who was also from Clon­mel. Though they knew of each other pre­vi­ously it wasn’t un­til they met at the Cashel Ball­room that they be­came a cou­ple.

The fol­low­ing year they were mar­ried and when they set­tled in En­nis­cor­thy they set about rais­ing their fam­ily.

Adopt­ing a very hands-on ap­proach to life he took great pride in the fact that he did a lot of the work on their house when it was be­ing built.

Mr Ar­ri­gan be­came im­mersed in the lo­cal com­mu­nity do­ing a lot of fundrais­ing work and be­ing on schools’ Boards of Man­age­ment.

Health con­scious, he was a man who looked af­ter him­self and al­ways kept very fit. He loved go­ing for spins on his 5-speed Raleigh rac­ing bike and in later years he loved go­ing for walks along the En­nis­cor­thy prom­e­nade and walk­way by the Slaney.

Mr Ar­ri­gan was a pas­sion­ate gar­dener and loved de­vel­op­ing the gar­den around the fam­ily home. A keen sports en­thu­si­ast he loved watch­ing Mun­ster and Ire­land rugby matches.

He also had a pas­sion­ate and ac­tive in­ter­est in mu­sic with a par­tic­u­lar fond­ness for fa­mous croon­ers like Frank Si­na­tra.

He was a highly re­garded and pop­u­lar mem­ber of the lo­cal Sil­ver­tones and St Ai­dan’s Church Choir and dur­ing the fu­neral mass a Vi­valdi CD was brought up as one of the items sym­bol­is­ing his life along with a gar­den trowel and a book of Shake­speare’s son­nets - to sym­bol­ise his love of read­ing and po­etry.

Mr Ar­ri­gan was a learned man and as Conor told the mourn­ers he could quote Shake­speare or Latin but his quirky sense of hu­mour also meant he wasn’t ad­verse to quot­ing the likes of Homer Simp­son when the need arose.

In 1998 he re­tired from the Gar­dai but never one to rest on his lau­rels he took up a job in the Emer­gency Re­sponse call cen­tre in Bun­clody.

When he fi­nally re­tired from work­ing life for good he de­voted his time to his grand­chil­dren and sup­port­ing them in their var­i­ous ac­tiv­i­ties.

For the last two years his health be­gan to de­cline but he bore his ill­ness with great dig­nity and at the mass Conor ac­knowl­edged the sup­port and help Mr Ar­ri­gan and his fam­ily re­ceived from the staff in Univer­sity Hos­pi­tal Water­ford and Wex­ford Gen­eral Hos­pi­tal along with the lo­cal pal­lia­tive care nurses.

Friends and neigh­bours were also ac­knowl­edged for their on­go­ing sup­port and friend­ship dur­ing what was a dif­fi­cult pe­riod for the fam­ily.

The high re­gard in which Mr Ar­ri­gan was held was un­der­lined by the large con­gre­ga­tion of mourn­ers who gath­ered in St Ai­dan’s Cathe­dral for his Re­quiem Mass.

Fol­low­ing the mass his re­mains were laid to rest in En­nis­cor­thy Cemetery fol­low­ing a Guard of Hon­our formed by col­leagues from an Garda Siochana.

Mr Ar­ri­gan is sur­vived by his wife Mary, sons Conor and Niall, daugh­ter, Miriam, brother, Jimmy, daugh­ters-in­law, Deirdre and Irma, son-in-law, John, grand­chil­dren, Kil­lian, To­mas, Mary, Maeve, Róisín, Rachel, Kate and Rory, broth­ers-in-law, sis­ters-in-law, neph­ews, nieces, rel­a­tives and very large cir­cle of friends.

He was pre-de­ceased by his brother, Brian and sis­ter, Marie.

Re­tired Garda Frank Ar­ri­gan’s fu­neral cortege flanked by a guard of hon­our of for­mer col­leagues en route to St Mary’s Cemetery on Fri­day.

The late Frank Ar­ri­gan

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.