Derby win puts classy ‘Boughal into last four

Fingal Independent - - SPORT - BY RORY KERR

BALLYBOUGHAL dealt Round Tow­ers Lusk a crit­i­cal blow to their pro­mo­tion hopes at Thomas Ashe Park on Satur­day evening, with Ben Cal­li­nan hitting two sec­ond-half goals for the vis­i­tors to see Ballyboughal through to the semi-fi­nals.

The cor­ner for­ward gave ar­guably his best dis­play in a Ballyboughal shirt and apart from his two-goal tally was tena­cious through­out the course of the 60 min­utes.

One mo­ment dur­ing the game typ­i­fied his at­ti­tude when just be­fore the half-time break Cal­li­nan won a ter­rific ball to stop it go­ing over the side­line, and off that pos­ses­sion John Rodgers would point to leave Ballyboughal up 1-7 to 0-5 at the in­ter­val.

It was a big score for Bally- boughal given they had been play­ing with a stiff wind in the first half, al­though what­ever breeze Lusk had af­ter the break didn’t im­pact as much on them as they kicked six wides af­ter the turn­around.

For Lusk they will look back on the first half when they spurned three good goal chances. It was prob­a­bly the win­ning and los­ing of the game, and up against a Ballyboughal side who held on to pos­ses­sion well in the sec­ond half, they strug­gled to claw back the deficit.

The game had seen Lusk outscore their op­po­nents by two points be­fore a ball in from Lusk mid­fielder Sea­mus Har­ford re­leased Der­mot Leech at the edge of square.

He could only place his ef­fort wide on eight min­utes, and while


Lusk would keep their noses in front Ballyboughal would make the cru­cial break­through on 19 min­utes.

Their big in­side man Martens Prosi­nova, who had been a con­stant threat on the day, palmed down a di­ag­o­nal ball from Rodgers into the path of Gerry Seaver who crashed the ball home to open up a two-point lead for the ‘Boughal.

Lusk were pre­sented with an­other goal chance af­ter that, but un­der pres­sure from a de­fender, Leech saw an­other ef­fort go wide of the posts.

And hav­ing seen a third chance go abeg­ging, Lusk suf­fered an­other set­back six min­utes into the sec­ond half when, off good link up play from Ritchie Downey and Cathal Flynn, Cal­li­nan stabbed the ball past the keeper to open up a six-point lead.

And with Greg Rooney giv­ing an im­pres­sive dis­play in the mid­dle third, Ballyboughal con­trolled the play, with Seaver work­ing his socks off with some ter­rific runs down the chan­nels.

Ballyboughal might have had a third goal, with only a double save by Adam Burns deny­ing both Jack Ryan and Prosi­nova at the mid-way stage of the sec­ond half.

And while Lusk never dropped their heads, they al­ways had their work cut out against a de­ter­mined Ballyboughal side who then rounded things off when Cal­li­nan grabbed his sec­ond goal with a com­posed fin­ished near the end.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.