Cashin res­cues a point for Malahide

Fingal Independent - - SPORT - BY PAUL BYRNE


A WON­DER­FUL 93rd-minute vol­ley from Dy­lan Cashin res­cued a de­served point for Malahide United to main­tain their re­cent un­beaten run.

Terry Palmer’s side have en­dured a dif­fi­cult start to the sea­son, but this re­sult means they’ve now gone three games un­beaten and it seems the man­ager’s new meth­ods are be­gin­ning to res­onate with his play­ers.

The home side had to dig deep for this point given Grey­stones had scored what looked to be a cer­tain win­ner in the 90th minute.

How­ever, Dy­lan Cashin’s late in­ter­ven­tion en­sured the shares were spoiled in what was a com­pet­i­tive game in Gan­non Park.

The game be­gan in atro­cious con­di­tions, with the wind howl­ing and rain belt­ing down.

Malahide be­gan the first half with the wind at their backs and they en­joyed the ma­jor­ity of pos­ses­sion early on as Grey­stones sat back and in­vited the hosts onto them.

The first real chance of the game ar­rived in the 17th minute - and what a goal it al­most was!

Alan O’sul­li­van picked up the ball just in­side the Grey­stones half be­fore slalom­ing his way around four de­fend­ers. For­tu­nately for the vis­i­tors, their goal­keeper was alert and he rushed out to smother O’sul­li­van’s ef­fort and put it out for a cor­ner.

Chances were few and far be­tween for the rest of the first half, with Karl Moody’s long-range dip­ping ef­fort com­fort­ably saved by the Grey­stones keeper just be­fore the break.

The sides went in still dead­locked as the wind and rain con­tin­ued to prove prob­lem­atic for both sets of play­ers.

Grey­stones en­joyed a de­cent spell of pos­ses­sion at the be­gin­ning of the sec­ond half and their striker called Malahide goal­keeper Stephen Cashin into ac­tion with a first-time shot just af­ter the break.

Malahide grad­u­ally be­gan to get back on top and al­most went ahead, with sub­sti­tute Dan Burgess nar­rowly miss­ing the tar­get from just out­side the box.

The game looked to be head­ing for a score­less draw un­til the fi­nal minute of nor­mal time when Grey­stones launched an at­tack down the right.

The ball was crossed in by their winger be­fore be­ing headed home pow­er­fully by the striker to give the vis­i­tors a last gasp lead.

It looked to be cur­tains for Malahide fol­low­ing the con­ces­sion of that goal as the clock ticked into in­jury time.

How­ever, Malahide re­fused to give up and in the 93rd minute they got their re­wards as for­mer Drogheda United player Eoin Kir­wan cross found its way to Dy­lan Cashin who volleyed the ball su­perbly into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net for a de­served equaliser.

Hav­ing con­ceded so late in the game this will feel like a point gained for Malahide who will next face Ban­gor Celtic this week­end MALAHIDE UTD: Stephen Cashin, Karl Melling, Gary Kenna, Brian Fa­hey, Ja­son Rankin, Gareth Lo­gan, Dy­lan Cashin, Dar­ren Craven, Gareth Craven, Karl Moody, Alan O’sul­li­van. Subs: Dan Burgess for Gareth Craven, Kil­lian Tim­mins for Karl Moody, Eoin Kir­wan for Dar­ren Craven.

Malahide’s Karl Melling puts pres­sure on Stephen Met­calfe of Grey­stones United.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.