Gorey Guardian - - SPORT -


Four­teen Slaney Sharks swim­mers par­tic­i­pated in the New Ross an­nual gala on April 22 in the Apex Pool, New Ross. Once again, the swim­mers proved them­selves with a host of podium fin­ishes and per­sonal bests.

Holly Fur­long took first place in the girls’ 13-14 100m back­stroke.

Ava Byrne was in tremen­dous form, tak­ing sec­ond place in both the girls’ 11-12 200m I.M. and 100m free.

Rioghna Houri­hane took sec­ond place in the girls’ 15-16 200m free.

James Byrne took sec­ond place in the boys’ 10 and un­der 200m free.

Fleur Gil­lot took sec­ond place in the girls’ 10 and un­der 100m free.

The fol­low­ing swim­mers achieved per­sonal bests - James Byrne (10), 50m back 51:02 (-1.95), 100m back 1:44.28 (-8.04), 200m free 3:28.10 (-4.12); Fleur Gil­lot (10), 100m free 1:29.22 (-3.68), 50m breast 55.46 (-0.99), 100m breast 2:00.33 (-3.98); Ava Whe­lan (11), 50m free 37.02 (-0.92), 100m free 1:23.06 (-0.50), 200m free 2:58.99 (-0.68); Sarah O’Leary (11), 50m free 40:81 (-1.66), 100m free 1:34.19 (-7.70); Aimee Walsh (12), 50m free 36.07 (-4.28), 100m free 1:19.05 (-3.03); Peadar Folan (13), 50m free 35:07 (-0.99), 100m free 1:16.15 (-2.10); Alexi Gil­lot (13), 200 I.M. 3:18.46 (-8.57); Mia Barry (13), 50m free 48:62 (-1.57), 100m free 1:51.75 (-4.11); Holly Fur­long (14), 200m free 2:27.58 (-0.90); Rioghna Houri­hane (15), 200 I.M. 2:52.29 (-5.09), 200m free 2:25.81 (-0.19); Orla McCauley (15), 50m free 53.76 (-1.14), 100m breast 2:31.18 (-19.40); Sam Mur­phy (16), 200 I.M. 2:39.57 (-1.30), 50m free 30:00 (-0.56); Conor Dempsey (17), 200 I.M. 2:52.40 (-4.45).

Coaches Liam and Nicky con­grat­u­late all the swim­mers on their achieve­ments.

The Slaney Sharks Swim Club con­tact num­ber is 087-4041544.


En­nis­cor­thy Hockey Club might have com­pleted the sea­son on the pitch on a neg­a­tive note on the week­end be­fore last, but for play­ers An­drew Rothwell and Mick Jor­dan, it was a very busy week­end rep­re­sent­ing the club.

Jor­dan lined out for the Ire­land Great Grand Masters which hosted the Four Na­tions tour­na­ment at Three Rock Rovers Hockey Club in Dublin.

Even­tual win­ners Eng­land de­feated Ire­land in Fri­day’s open­ing match on a 2-0 score­line, but the boys in green bounced back on Satur­day, de­feat­ing Scot­land 2-0, with Jor­dan get­ting the opener. On Sun­day a 1-0 win over Wales se­cured run­ners-up spot for the hosts.

Mean­while, Farm­ers’ Cross on Lee­side - home of Cork Har­lequins - hosted the Ju­nior In­ter­provin­cial tour­na­ment on Satur­day and Sun­day, and En­nis­cor­thy first XI reg­u­lar An­drew Rothwell was in ac­tion for Le­in­ster.

The hosts be­gan their cam­paign on Satur­day with a 6-1 thrash­ing of Le­in­ster, who bounced back to record a 2-2 draw with Ul­ster.

Sun­day saw a re­verse of the fix­tures, with Le­in­ster earn­ing a last-gasp 2-2 draw with their north­ern coun­ter­parts, but Mun­ster did enough against Le­in­ster to claim the sil­ver­ware.

The club An­nual Gen­eral Meet­ing took place at the IFA Cen­tre on Thurs­day night. Chair­man Jim Ro­gan in his speech to the meet­ing was able to re­flect on an­other good year for the club, with tro­phies claimed at adult and un­der-age lev­els, while sev­eral mem­bers earned provin­cial or na­tional recog­ni­tion, as well as tri­als.

As with any club, how­ever, fundrais­ing re­mains a chal­lenge and as part of this, the club is mov­ing to an on­line fees pay­ment sys­tem for the new sea­son.

The club’s many vol­un­teers and coaches were thanked for their com­mit­ment dur­ing the sea­son, and the IFA Cen­tre was recog­nised for its help also.

Com­mit­tee for 2018-’19: Chair­man, Jim Ro­gan; Sec­re­tary, Alan Smith; Trea­surer, Laura O’Leary; De­vel­op­ment Of­fi­cer, Donal Doyle; Men’s co-or­di­na­tor, Fraser Rothwell; Youth girls’ co-or­di­na­tor, Elaine Smith; Ju­nior girls’ co-or­di­na­tor, Deirdre Mor­ris; Youth boys’ co-or­di­na­tor, Pauline Ro­gan; Health and Safety Of­fi­cer, Keith Ogilvie; Club mer­chan­dise, An­drew Rothwell; Wel­fare Of­fi­cer, Avril But­tle; Des­ig­nated Per­son, Eva Clif­ford; Match Sec­re­tary, Irene Doyle; Mem­ber­ship co-or­di­na­tor as­sis­tant, Elaine Smith; Fundrais­ing co- or­di­na­tor, Eamonn Sweeney.

Mixed so­cial hockey re­turns for any hockey play­ers over 15 from Wed­nes­day, May 30, and weekly there­after from 7.30 to 9 p.m. at the Astro Ac­tive Cen­tre, En­nis­cor­thy.

The pitch rental fee is €5 per per­son. Mem­bers and non-mem­bers are most wel­come.

S.B.R. A.C.

The S.B.R. women won bronze and the S.B.R. men won sil­ver at the Wex­ford Novice road race in Cam­ross on Fri­day.

Thanks to United Strid­ers for host­ing and John Joe Jor­dan and the team at United Strid­ers. It was great go­ing by ev­ery­one in­volved.

The bronze medal-win­ning S.B.R. women’s team was a very strong Emma Mor­ris in ninth, fol­lowed closely with a bril­liant run by Chris­tine Hill in eleventh, then Marie Kir­wan 15th and Lisa Mur­phy 17th pro­vid­ing vi­tal points to take the medal.

They teamed with Orla Fur­long, Lisa Breen, Mag O’Leary-Doyle and Mairéad O’Neill who all ran re­ally well.

Dar­ragh Cloake was a bril­liant fourth in his S.B.R. de­but, with a resur­gent Niall O’Con­nor fifth on the men’s side.

Tomás Ka­vanagh (ninth) and Eu­gene Do­herty (17th) rounded out the sil­ver medal-win­ning team with strong runs. Adrian Doyle, Shane Gre­gan, Liam Breen, Pa­trick For­tune and Peter Ka­vanagh all ran re­ally well, and S.B.R’s depth was ev­i­dent.

Con­grat­u­la­tions to the S.B.R. run­ners who com­peted at the Le­in­ster Masters and Novice road race cham­pi­onships in Gowran on Mon­day. In siz­zling con­di­tions, the club had some strong fin­ishes which led to four in­di­vid­ual medals as well as a county bronze for Wex­ford.

Myles Gib­bons led the S.B.R. charge in a strong 13th over­all in 20:29 for the 6k rolling course.

That run put Myles on the Wex­ford bronze medal-win­ning team with three mem­bers of the United Strid­ers team from New Ross. Myles also fin­ished third in the men’s 40 cat­e­gory.

Myles’ brother, Paul, was next S.B.R. man in 17th in 20:46. He was fol­lowed by De­nis Moyni­han in 34th in 21:54, and David Leonard in 41st in 22:11. Those four fin­ished as the fifth over­all Masters club in Le­in­ster.

Very strong per­for­mances fol­lowed be­hind, with Eu­gene Do­herty win­ning Le­in­ster Over-60 bronze in 23:39. Tom Ka­vanagh won sil­ver in the Over-70 in 35:14, and Billy Harpur won bronze in the same cat­e­gory in 38:02.

At Satur­day’s Gorey Parkrun, Martin O’Con­nor was third over­all in a strong 20:37. Claire Gib­bons was the fourth over­all fe­male in 24:02. Des O’Neill was 24th in 28:21.

On Sun­day, Olive Brown­rigg ran a mas­sive four-minute P.B. in the Sear­lait Ty­wang Me­mo­rial in Kilkenny in 56:22. She was fol­lowed by Cathy Dono­van in 1:02:06.

In the cor­re­spond­ing 10 Mile, Chris­tine Hill fol­lowed on her strong run Fri­day by fin­ish­ing in 1:23:05, and Linda Avbarra ran well in 1:46:02.

On Sun­day, Paul Gib­bons was vic­to­ri­ous at the St. Anne’s Cara 5k in Dublin in 17:31, win­ning by over a minute.

Fix­tures: Fri­day, May 18, county Wex­ford Se­nior road race cham­pi­onships, hosted by Wex­ford Marathon Club in Mur­rin­town (7 p.m.); Sun­day, May 27, Run With Ray for 5k road race, Craan­ford.


En­nis­cor­thy 35, Athy 29: The En­nis­cor­thy Un­der-15s played Athy in En­er­gia Park, Don­ny­brook, on Bank Hol­i­day Mon­day in the Le­in­ster Plate fi­nal.

They trav­elled more in hope than ex­pec­ta­tion. A 21-match sea­son had left the team miss­ing some of their more in­flu­en­tial play­ers through in­jury, and they had to call on the re­sources of three of the very strong Un­der-14 panel.

Athy came into the match with some great pedi­gree, with Joey Car­berry’s dad in­volved with them as a coach and Joey’s brother play­ing at num­ber 10.

The 3G astro sur­face made for a fast, com­pelling game in very warm con­di­tions. En­nis­cor­thy didn’t get the per­fect start as Athy ran in a try af­ter five min­utes and con­verted.

En­nis­cor­thy hit back mid­way through the first-half with good for­ward pres­sure and the first try came from cap­tain Aaron Doyle break­ing off the back of a ruck close to the Athy line. Con­all Ker­vick con­verted to level mat­ters.

Five min­utes later Athy were putting pres­sure on at the En­nis­cor­thy five-me­tre line but thank­fully En­nis­cor­thy were awarded a scrum for an in­fringe­ment from the Kil­dare side.

From there, the large En­nis­cor­thy sup­port present was treated to a mo­ment of in­di­vid­ual bril­liance - Seán Kelly, scrum-half, passed to the blind­side winger Steven San Au­gustin who beat one man and kicked up field, chased his own kick, rounded two more Athy play­ers, caught his own kick just be­fore half­way and con­tin­ued his sprint to dot down un­der the op­po­si­tion posts. Ker­vick con­verted to make it 14-7 to En­nis­cor­thy.

Athy came straight back and were awarded a penalty on the ‘22 which they duly slot­ted over. En­nis­cor­thy were un­der sus­tained pres­sure from the Kil­dare boys who were now in the as­cen­dancy.

The Slaneysiders had to make some per­son­nel changes due to in­jury. Athy at­tacked again and split the En­nis­cor­thy de­fence to score un­der the posts which they duly con­verted to go ahead 17-14.

The ‘Scor­thy boys were feel­ing the pres­sure but showed great re­solve to come down field and, af­ter con­tin­ued for­ward pres­sure, Aaron Doyle dot­ted down again near the Athy corner flag. A su­per con­ver­sion fol­lowed from Ker­vick, leav­ing the score at the end of the first-half 21-17.

This was a truly en­ter­tain­ing match with the lead chang­ing four times al­ready.

Within min­utes of the re­sump­tion of the game, Athy, play­ing on the front foot, were back in front with a try which they con­verted and they were ahead 24-21.

The Slaneysiders were feel­ing the pres­sure and there was a feel­ing that if the Kil­dare boys scored next it could po­ten­tially be a match-win­ner.

With 15 min­utes left En­nis­cor­thy were at­tack­ing but the Kil­dare boys seemed to be com­fort­able in de­fence. How­ever, as Athy were go­ing wide try­ing to turn the screw, San Au­gustin came fly­ing up off the line, com­pleted an in­ter­cept and touched down near the posts. Ker­vick duly con­verted, mean­ing that En­nis­cor­thy were edged into a 28-24 ad­van­tage.

More drama was to come with the con­tro­ver­sial sin-bin­ning of En­nis­cor­thy hooker Conor Mur­phy. Now there were ten min­utes to go but the lads were down to 14 men.

More changes and fresh legs were re­quired, and the ‘Scor­thy boys kept show­ing some great char­ac­ter dur­ing this phase of the match.

Thanks to some ex­cel­lent tac­ti­cal kick­ing by the out-half and good chas­ing from the back line, they kept the tir­ing Athy side pinned back.

Back to 15 men, En­nis­cor­thy struck again and an­other great San Au­gustin run saw him stopped just short of the line. But the sup­port was there from sub­sti­tute Aaron Quigley who took the short pass and dot­ted down in the corner.

An­other ex­cel­lent con­ver­sion by Ker­vick to con­tinue his one hun­dred per cent record made the score­line 35-24.

En­nis­cor­thy were in con­trol now, but were made to work hard to keep their lead as seven min­utes of in­jury time were al­lo­cated by the ref­eree. Athy did get a break­away try un­der the posts at the end but failed to con­vert be­fore the fi­nal whis­tle blew, leav­ing a score of 35-29.

The boys were ec­static in win­ning their first fi­nal. This was a top-qual­ity game by both sides in very warm con­di­tions, with the lead chang­ing six times and some ex­cel­lent tries. It was a real team ef­fort, with huge work put in by the for­wards and some ex­quis­ite back play.

There was a sense of de­ter­mi­na­tion from the Slaneysiders af­ter los­ing a South-East cup fi­nal the week pre­vi­ously. The boys wanted it more and never gave up.

This was a great day for the club with both Un­der-13s and Un­der-15s win­ning their re­spec­tive fi­nals. Thanks to the large sup­port from par­ents, play­ers and club mem­bers in­clud­ing club Pres­i­dent An­drew Owen and Sec­re­tary Rory Fan­ning.

There was great sup­port through­out the year from par­ents, club of­fi­cers and lastly and by no means least the com­mit­ted coach­ing vol­un­teers. The signs are good from the youth struc­ture and it will only be a mat­ter of time be­fore we see some of these play­ers in the top Se­nior ranks of the club.

Team: Wayne Byrne, Conor Mur­phy, Evan O’Con­nor, David Bol­ger, Chris O’Leary, Josh Mur­phy, Aaron Doyle, James Doyle, Ore La­sisi, Seán Kelly, Conal Ker­vick, Evan Jacob, Ro­nan Ker­vick, Barry Hassey, Ste­fan San Au­gustin, Cil­lian Doyle, Shawn Leacy, Joshua Kin­sella, Matt Kin­naird, Euan Kennedy, Ciarán Doyle, Marco Byrne, Aaron Quigley.


Tul­low 23, Gorey 22: Gorey games are won and lost on fine mar­gins, and they don’t get much finer that this, as hearts were bro­ken when Tul­low’s Paul Cana­van con­verted a dif­fi­cult penalty to put his side into the lead in the fi­nal min­utes of an en­thralling Towns Cup sec­onds fi­nal in Car­low.

A score­line of 23-22 was how it ended as both sides gave their all in front of a large crowd on a beau­ti­ful day for rugby.

The Wex­ford men got off to a flyer when, straight from the kick-off, Gorey re­tained pos­ses­sion and a lit­tle chip by Gar­rett Bater saw Joe Naughton race on to touch down.

It was the dream start for Gorey but they failed to build on this, as Tul­low slowly cranked up their ef­fort.

Some ex­cel­lent play by Tul­low saw them deep in the Gorey half and, a num­ber of phases later, Mick Demitri crossed in the corner to open their ac­count.

Seven min­utes later they were back again as Gorey strug­gled to halt their big ball car­ri­ers and even­tu­ally Char­lie Ward crossed for an­other try.

It was to get worse for Gorey as Tul­low moved the ball at ev­ery op­por­tu­nity, and when John Fitzger­ald went over to ex­tend their lead it looked as if Gorey were in deep trouble.

With sec­onds left un­til half-time, as they have done so of­ten be­fore, Gorey grabbed a life­line.

The pack put some good phases to­gether to fi­nally threaten the Tul­low line.

Sec­onds later Rob­bie Brooks, who had just come on, squeezed in at the corner flag to give Gorey a life­line for the sec­ond-half.

The score was 17-12 as the sec­ond-half com­menced. Some big car­ries by Ben Ma­son, Lar Kin­sella and Eoin Walsh were start­ing to pay div­i­dends.

Gorey were now be­gin­ning to be­lieve and looked dan­ger­ous. Within ten min­utes of the re-start they scored a cracking try.

Some great in­ter-play be­tween backs and for­wards stretched the Tul­low de­fence, for Rob­bie Brooks to cross for his sec­ond try, and Cian Had­den added the con­ver­sion to put Gorey in the lead for the first time (19-12).

Gorey were now play­ing with con­fi­dence as scrum-half Gar­ret Bater di­rected play. A fur­ther penalty saw them ex­tend their lead to 22-17 when Cian Had­den split the posts.

The game was now open­ing up and with 15 min­utes left on the clock the ex­cel­lent Tommy New raced clear for the Tul­low line. He looked to be al­most over but a last-ditch tackle saved the day for Tul­low.

Five min­utes later Paul Cana­van landed a penalty for Tul­low to set up a ner­vous few min­utes for Gorey, with just two points be­tween the sides.

With min­utes left on the clock, Tul­low threw ev­ery­thing they had at Gorey.

As in all games it comes down to that fine mar­gin and when Gorey were pe­nalised out wide, they could only look on as Cana­van stepped up to land the per­fect kick to put Tul­low in front (23-22).

Gorey tried for the re­main­ing few min­utes to res­cue a game that, min­utes ear­lier, they looked to have in the bag, but such is sport.

This Gorey team, with eight of the starters Un­der-20 and sev­eral more on the bench, will be dis­ap­pointed and rightly so, but the ex­pe­ri­ence of this cup cam­paign can only bode well for the fu­ture.

There will be big­ger days. Gorey had some out­stand­ing per­for­mances, with Lar Kin­sella, Eoin Walsh, Shane Stokes and cap­tain Ben Ma­son the pick of the pack.

Dave O’Neill, Rob­bie Brooks and man of the match Garett Bater showed well in the backs.

Gorey: W. Rothwell, E. Walsh, C. Allen, M. Wafer, L. Kin­sella, S. Stokes, S. Had­den, B. Ma­son, G. Bater, C. Had­den, R. Har­ring­ton, D. O’Neill, T. Cleary, J. Naughton, J. Wil­loughby, B. Doyle. R. Hughes, Z. Sin­nott, T. New, R. Deer­ing, R. Jones, M. Whe­lan, R. Brooks.


The first night of the Wex­ford county horse­shoes league was called off due to the weather con­di­tions. There will be two rounds played next Wed­nes­day night, with a 7 p.m. start.

There are six teams in the county league this year.

The four first di­vi­sion teams are Do­ran’s Bridge, Woods­men, Vine­gar Hill and Monart, and the two sec­ond di­vi­sion teams are Cur­r­a­cloe and Do­ran’s Bridge.

This means that in the sec­ond di­vi­sion, the two teams are au­to­mat­i­cally through to the fi­nal as they are the only par­tic­i­pants.

The tri­umphant En­nis­cor­thy Un­der-15 rugby squad and men­tors in Don­ny­brook af­ter their vic­tory on Bank Hol­i­day Mon­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.