She’s threat­en­ing to throw him out


My brother is 65 and has lived with a woman for 35 years. He has worked ex­cep­tion­ally hard, but he had to take re­dun­dancy due to his fail­ing health. He has al­ways paid ev­ery bill, apart from food, while she has treated her­self to the good life. Now all his money has gone and she has moved into a sep­a­rate room in their coun­cil house. His name has never been on the rent book and I think that she is go­ing to throw him out. I have begged him to come with me to get help, but he shuts him­self away. What are his rights legally? The fact that your brother won’t come with you to get help sug­gests that he is so stressed, he can’t face the prob­lems ahead of him. You should get in touch with Fo­cus Ire­land ( 01 671 2555, fo­cusire­, which helps any­one fac­ing home­less­ness by pro­vid­ing ex­pert sup­port and ad­vice about their rights and op­tions. Your brother could look at its web­site with you or visit a cen­tre. How­ever, if he still won’t come, tell him that you are go­ing on his be­half to find out his le­gal rights. Ex­perts have told me that the of­fer of a new home by the coun­cil de­pends on spe­cific cir­cum­stances, but the coun­cil can pro­vide emer­gency hous­ing if some­one meets cer­tain cri­te­ria. He could join a wait­ing list for a coun­cil home, but it takes time to be of­fered some­where per­ma­nent. Your brother should prob­a­bly also see his GP about de­pres­sion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.