O’Sul­li­van goals pro­pel Kil­shan­nig

Irish Examiner - County - - Sport - Barry O’Ma­hony

KIL­SHAN­NIG were crowned Cork County U21B foot­ball cham­pi­ons last night, fol­low­ing a de­served vic­tory over Robert Em­met’s in the fi­nal at Páirc Uí Rinn. Kil­shan­nig packed too much scor­ing power for Robert Em­met’s, while their de­fence was also out­stand­ing.

Diar­muid O’Sul­li­van was a hand­ful at full-for­ward for the win­ners, fin­ish­ing up with 2-3, while Jack Kear­ney, Jack Twomey and Joseph Cronin were also par­tic­u­larly im­pres­sive.

Conor O’Ke­effe was Robert Em­met’s go to man, scor­ing an im­pres­sive tally of 1-8, but in the over­all scheme of things, they were too re­liant on the fan­tas­tic cen­tre-for­ward.

Robert Em­met’s goal­keeper Josh O’Ke­effe had a fine game, mak­ing a num­ber of point blank saves.

Kil­shan­nig were aided by a strong wind in the open­ing half, and they hit the front af­ter two min­utes, Dar­ragh O’ Sul­li­van con­vert­ing a free.

Un­der­foot con­di­tions were very slip­pery, and it played it’s part in a low scor­ing open­ing 30 min­utes.

Both sides de­fended in num­bers, re­sult­ing in lim­ited chances for the for­wards. Robert Em­met’s, an un­der­age com­bi­na­tion of New­mar­ket and Lis­mire did score two points on the bounce, but they had to work ex­tremely hard for those scores. Conor O’Ke­effe with both.

Kil­shan­nig stunned their op­po­nents, with 1-2 in a 180 sec­ond spell.

Kevin McMa­hon free and a Diar­muid O’Sul­li­van beauty with the points, while the lat­ter also raised a green flag, from close range.

The goal­keeper didn’t stand a chance. The New­mar­ket/Lis­mire side re­sponse was swift with two quick points cour­tesy of Conor O’Ke­effe and Jack Mur­phy, 1-3 to 0-4, with three min­utes to the break.

The win­ners kicked two of the fi­nal three points of the half. Jack Twomey and Diar­muid O’ Sul­li­van with the Kil­shan­nig white flags. Jack Guiney reg­is­tered Robert Em­met’s point. 1-5 to 0-5 at half-time. Robert Em­met’s raised two white flags, on the re­sumpa­tion, through Conor and Ryan O’Ke­effe.

They were well in the game at this junc­ture and also had a num­ber of wides, un­til they suf­fered a sucker punch in the 40th minute.

Diar­muid O’Sul­li­van net­ted his sec­ond goal, fol­low­ing an as­tute pass from Colm O’Shea.

Kil­shan­nig posted a point im­me­di­ately af­ter the goal to push 2-6 to 0-7 ahead. Robert Em­met’s breathed new life into the con­test, as the ex­cel­lent Conor O’Ke­effe raised a green flag, fol­low­ing a jink­ing run.

That goal didn’t shake Kil­shan­nig and they held firm, and opened up a seven point gap, with 15 min­utes re­main­ing, af­ter kick­ing over two points, 2-8 to 1-7. The win­ners looked home and housed, af­ter Jack Kear­ney drilled home Kil­shan­nig’s third goal, but Robert Em­met’s re­sponded with four points all from Conor O’Kef­fee in five min­utes to trail by just three points, 3-8 to 1-11, with five min­utes re­main­ing.

Kil­shan­nig looked for the in­sur­ance score, and were close to adding a fourth goal. Diar­muid O’Sul­li­van was des­per­ate for his hat-trick, but his shot went nar­rowly wide of the left hand post. Robert Em­met’s were com­mit­ting num­bers for­ward in the re­main­ing min­utes, but it left the door open at the other end of the pitch.

The win­ners tacked on three points in the dy­ing min­utes to make sure of the vic­tory.Jack Kear­ney (2) and a long range Conor McMa­hon ef­fort.

The out­pour­ing of emo­tion once the fi­nal whis­tle sounded had to be seen to be be­lieved, as Kil­shan­nig play­ers and sup­port­ers min­gled in the mid­dle of the pitch fol­low­ing a his­toric tri­umph.

Joy for Kil­shan­nig’s Dar­ragh O’Sul­li­van, Billy Walsh and Eoin O’Sul­li­van af­tet de­feat­ing Robert Em­mett’s in the Cork County U21 B FC fi­nal at Páirc Uí Rinn.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.