First JAFC ti­tle for But­te­vant

Irish Examiner - County - - Sport - Pat Ryan

THERE were scenes of wild ex­cite­ment in Killavullen on Saturday evening as But­te­vant were crowned Ju­nior A Foot­ball Cham­pi­onship win­ners for the time.

Over the hour, they were the bet­ter side, but found it hard to see off a Kil­worth side that bat­tled to the end.

But­te­vant had their first goal in the sec­ond minute when JD Mur­phy and Ryan Fow­ley worked a good move­ment that led to a well-taken goal by Kevin O’Ke­effe.

Sea­mus Madi­gan fol­lowed with a point. Good play by John Buck­ley to John O’Neill led to Ryan Fow­ley cut­ting through and forc­ing a ‘45 that was con­verted by Sea­mus Madi­gan.

Kil­worth opened their ac­count in the eighth minute when Ja­son McCarthy pointed a free af­ter a foul on Eoin McGrath.

Kil­worth had two wides be­fore But­te­vant, in a great move­ment out of de­fence by Tadhg Sul­li­van, saw Kevin O’Ke­effe, JD Mur­phy, and John O’Neill all work hard for De­nis O’Connell who pointed, 1-3 to 0-1 af­ter 13 min­utes.

John O’Neill added a point. Kil­worth ral­lied well, they won a lot of pos­ses­sion in mid­field, cre­ated a num­ber of chances, but had too many wides.

Brian Shee­han pointed. In the 16th minute a good move­ment by David Walsh to John O’Neill led to a great point by De­nis O’Connell.

Brian Shee­han pointed a Kil­worth free be­fore Kevin O’Ke­effe pointed fol­low­ing a four-man at­tack.

Kil­worth forced a penalty that Ja­son McCarthy con­verted.

De­nis O’Connell pointed a late But­te­vant free to leave Kil­worth within three points at the break, when Will Con­don placed Eoin McGrath for a great point 1-7 to 1-4 at half-time.

On the re­sump­tion, Kil­worth’s Brian Shee­han made a fine in­ter­cep­tion and was fouled — the same player left just two points be­tween the sides from the free.

Just when it looked like Kil­worth were go­ing to get on terms, it was But­te­vant who thun­dered into the game with Ro­nan Dono­van, Tadhg Sul­li­van, Micheal Broe, JD Mur­phy, Tadhg Healy, De­nis O’Connell, John O’Neill, and Ryan Fow­ley ex­celling.

Ryan Fow­ley soloed through and kicked a mas­sive point be­fore Kil­worth keeper Pat O’Brien saved from Sea­mus Madi­gan.

In the 4lst minute, Tom Twomey pointed a long-range Kil­worth free but But­te­vant re­sponded through a Sean O’Flynn ef­fort.

En­ter­ing the fi­nal quar­ter, John O’Neill worked well on the flank to put Ryan Fow­ley in for a fine point that opened up a four-point lead 1-10 to 1- 6. The same player soon added an­other point as it was game on with the end in sight.

Tom Twomey, who was now op­erat- first ing on the 40, pointed a Kil­worth free 111 to 1- 7. Sean Madi­gan pointed from a dif­fi­cult an­gle af­ter a three-man at­tack. Ryan Fow­ley had a But­te­vant goal as they moved 2-12 to 1-7 clear.

But­te­vant de­fended in great num­bers as Kil­worth tried very hard for a goal. A free by Tom Twomey sailed over the bar, but Kevin Le­na­han, with a free, replied as the win­ners com­pleted their scor­ing.

In the clos­ing mo­ments Kil­worth tried in vain for the elu­sive goal they so badly needed to have any real chance of mak­ing a good fin­ish.

Tom Twomey com­pleted the scor­ing with an in­jury-time pointed free.

Af­ter the game, Mairead Cot­ter, on be­half of the spon­sors Syn­ergy Fer­moy Credit Union, pre­sented the cup to the win­ning cap­tain, Micheál Broe, in the pres­ence of board chair­man Barry Ah­erne. Ryan Fow­ley was named a very pop­u­lar man of the match.

But­te­vant play­ers cel­e­brate af­ter they de­feated Kil­worth in the Syn­ergy Credit Union North Cork JAFC fi­nal at Killavullen on Saturday.

Eoin Mur­phy, son of num­ber 12 JD Mur­phy, was cel­e­brat­ing his ninth birth­day on Saturday and was car­ried up by cel­e­brat­ing But­te­vant play­ers af­ter their vic­tory.

But­te­vant play­ers cel­e­brate af­ter they de­feated Kil­worth in the Syn­ergy Credit Union North Cork JAFC fi­nal at Killavullen on Saturday.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.