Follow the 80/20 rule My biggest piece of advice is to take an 80/20 approach to food (follow a healthy eating plan 80% of the time and be more flexible for the remaining 20% of the time). We’re all human, so saying that you’re going to be good 100% of the time just isn’t realistic.
Plan, plan, plan! Meal prep and planning is one of the biggest keys to my success.
Don’t cut out foods, much less entire food groups, before you’ve given them a chance. There is no right or wrong diet and the best judge of what works for you is you.
Read the labels to figure out what’s in your food and take back control.
I’m fanatical about training, but you don’t have to be a fully-fledged fitness jerk to move. Just move more: walk more, take the stairs more, join a gym.
What’s your excuse?
If you feel you are failing in your goal to lead a more balanced, healthy lifestyle, what’s your excuse? For me, it was lack of willpower. On the weekends I’d look at food as a reward and eat all the stuff I told myself I wasn’t allowed during the week. I couldn’t deal with the Monday guilt any more, so I decided to have a treat if I really wanted one, no matter what day of the week it was.
Let go of the guilt
I wasted so many years feeling guilty about food. If you’re going to have something a little naughty, just go ahead and have it, enjoy it and move on. Go back to your normal routine the next day and don’t beat yourself up over it.
The dribble approach
Make small changes. You don’t have to dive in head first and try to do everything all at once. Rome wasn’t built in a day and a balanced lifestyle won’t be either.
Roz’s top 20 hero foods: Almond milk (unsweetened), avocados, bananas, berries, broccoli, chia seeds, courgettes, dark chocolate, eggs, feta cheese, lemons, maple syrup and honey, nut butter, porridge oats, protein powder, raw nuts and seeds, rice, lentils and quinoa, sweet potatoes, tinned tomatoes, chickpeas and beans and yogurt.
From Half Hour Heroes by Roz Purcell