Gar­daí quiz teens af­ter bru­tal at­tack

Irish Examiner - - News - Eoin English

Gar­daí have searched sev­eral homes, in­ter­viewed teenagers as young as 14, and seized ev­i­den­tial ma­te­rial as part of their in­ves­ti­ga­tion into a bru­tal and un­pro­voked knife-and-bat at­tack on two teenagers in Cork City at the week­end.

Last night, Supt Char­lie Barry con­firmed that de­tec­tives had iden­ti­fied 27 peo­ple, aged be­tween 14 and 17, who had trav­elled by bus from their homes on the north­side of the city to the south­side on Satur­day be­fore the vi­cious at­tack in the Wil­ton area, around tea-time.

One teen re­quired surgery, hav­ing been stabbed in one of his kid­neys.

His friend re­ceived sev­eral stitches to the head. He was beaten with what gar­daí be­lieve was ei­ther a me­tal bar or a baseball bat.

Supt Barry said gar­daí are fol­low­ing sev­eral def­i­nite lines of en­quiry.

The two vic­tims, aged 15 and 16, had just left Wil­ton Shop­ping Cen­tre on foot at around 6pm on Satur­day. They were walk­ing through the nearby Wil­ton Court hous­ing es­tate when they en­coun­tered a gang of 20 to 30 teenagers, both male and fe­male.

The two in­no­cent friends, who were said to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, were then sub­jected to an un­pro­voked at­tack.

Dur­ing the course of the as­sault, one of the boys suf­fered at least one stab wound to the side and the other suf­fered sev­eral wounds to the head.

The gang mem­bers fled and the two in­jured boys made their way to a friend’s house nearby.

They were driven by an adult in the house to Cork Univer­sity Hos­pi­tal (CUH), where they re­ceived med­i­cal treat­ment and where gar­daí were alerted.

Supt Barry said that CCTV footage from Wil­ton Shop­ping Cen­tre played a cru­cial role in iden­ti­fy­ing sev­eral po­ten­tial sus­pects, who had spent some time wan­der­ing around the shop­ping cen­tre, be­fore the teens were as­saulted.

Gar­daí ob­tained search war­rants and mounted a se­ries of searches of a num­ber of homes on the north­side of the city on Mon­day af­ter­noon and evening.

They in­ter­viewed, un­der cau­tion and in the pres­ence of a par­ent, sev­eral teenagers, both male and fe­male, in­clud­ing one who was as young as 14.

Supt Barry con­firmed that a num­ber of items of ev­i­den­tial ma­te­rial were also seized.

He said gar­daí are now ex­am­in­ing the var­i­ous state­ments taken from the teens, and that de­tec­tives are trawl­ing through more CCTV footage.

But he warned that the painstak­ing probe could take some time, given the num­ber of peo­ple in­volved.

The as­sault vic­tims are un­der­stood to be mak­ing a good re­cov­ery from their phys­i­cal in­juries.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.