Irish Independent - Health & Living - - MIND YOURSELF -


If your child does not ap­pear to be cop­ing as expected with a be­reave­ment, if he or she is act­ing out, feel­ing iso­lated or still ask­ing ques­tions in the months fol­low­ing a death, you may de­cide to avail of pro­fes­sional sup­port.

In­ves­ti­gate the ser­vices on of­fer from groups such as Rain­bows, Barnar­dos, the ICBN or your local fam­ily re­source cen­tre, which of­fers vol­un­tary sup­port ser­vices.

It’s im­por­tant to get a clear de­scrip­tion of the service of­fered by each or­gan­i­sa­tion, ad­vises Orla Kee­gan. Check that vol­un­teers or coun­sel­lors are trained to work with chil­dren and whether they have ex­per­tise in child­hood be­reave­ment and in un­der­stand­ing the way chil­dren grieve.

If it’s a char­ity, check that it is reg­is­tered and ad­heres to good codes of gov­ern­ments and to child-first poli­cies.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.