Dwyer’s frees deny Har­ri­ers

Ferns fight back for draw

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - ML. HEF­FER­NAN


TWO LATE frees from Tommy Dwyer gave Ferns St. Ai­dan’s a share of the spoils as they came from be­hind to deny Faythe Har­ri­ers their sec­ond win in Group B of the Pet­titt’s Se­nior hurl­ing cham­pi­onship in Belle­field on Sun­day.

This was a hugely en­ter­tain­ing en­counter with both teams des­per­ately in search of a sec­ond vic­tory as the hunt for the third and fourth spots in this group be­comes ever more in­ter­est­ing.

The hunger of Faythe Har­ri­ers was ev­i­dent as they got off to a fly­ing start, with Lee Chin pulling the strings on the ’40, catch­ing a moun­tain of ball, lay­ing off passes and find­ing the target on four oc­ca­sions in the open­ing quar­ter.

It could have been even bet­ter for the Wex­ford town side af­ter they won an early penalty, only for Rhys Clarke’s sting­ing shot to be ex­cel­lently saved by Mick Walsh.

It took Ferns a while to set­tle into the game, only hit­ting their sec­ond point mid­way through the half.

But they then hit a pur­ple patch, outscor­ing their op­po­nents by five points to one with Ian Byrne and Christo­pher O’Con­nor do­ing the hon­ours, leav­ing them only trail­ing by two at the break.

The be­gin­ning of the sec­ond pe­riod was the op­po­site of the first as it was Ferns who hit the ground run­ning, edg­ing them­selves in front within eight min­utes.

Paul Mor­ris caused panic every time he got the ball, scor­ing two points and putting a goal chance barely wide.

Rhys Clarke missed an equally good open­ing at the other end be­fore Ferns were given a huge boost when Chris Turner re­acted fastest to the break­ing ball and fin­ished to the net with ease.

The fi­nal pe­riod was real dog­fight with both teams go­ing at each other with every­thing they had.

Mor­ris, in ex­cel­lent form, con­tin­ued to tor­ment the Har­ri­ers de­fence but four points from Chin edged his side in front as the game headed into added time.

But Ferns weren’t fin­ished yet and earned them­selves two frees in in­jury time which Dwyer calmly put over, leav­ing the last eight to be de­cided in the fi­nal round of games.

Ferns St. Ai­dan’s: Mick Walsh; Pa­trick Breen, John Breen, Brian O’Neill; Ryan Nolan, James Tonks, Conor Scallan; Tommy Dwyer (0-3, 2 frees), Gavin Bai­ley (0-1); Jonathan Dwyer (0-1), Benny Jor­dan, Ian Byrne (0-2); Chris Turner (1-0), Paul Mor­ris (0-4), Christo­pher O’Con­nor (0-4, 3 frees).

Faythe Har­ri­ers: Ian Scallan; Cor­mac Byrne, Richie Ke­hoe, Ross Lynch; Bren­dan Mul­li­gan, Colm Hef­fer­nan, Alex Lynch; Michael Han­ra­han, Rhys Clarke; Wayne Mal­lon, Lee Chin (0-12, 7 frees, 2 ‘65s), John Bridges (0-1); Pádraigh Far­rell (0-4), David Mooney (0-1), Shane Wilde. Subs. - Stephen Kear­ney for Wilde, Dean Walsh for Mal­lon.

Ref­eree: John Car­ton (Mon­ageer-Boolavogue). BAL­LY­HOGUE FIRED their way to the last four of the Per­ma­nent TSB Ju­nior ‘A’ hurl­ing cham­pi­onship with a 4-17 to 1-10 dis­man­tling of Rath­nure in Fri­day’s quar­ter-fi­nal in St. Pa­trick’s Park, Enniscorthy.

It’s no sur­prise that the Hogues ad­vanced to the penul­ti­mate round given it was es­sen­tially a first team play­ing ‘thirds’, but they nonethe­less per­formed with a swag­ger in the sec­ond-half, lim­it­ing their op­po­nents to just one point from play, and scor­ing 2-8 through that par­tic­u­lar av­enue them­selves.

The stan­dard of the first-half largely be­fit­ted the lower grade, although the vic­tors did pro­duce a few pock­ets of qual­ity on oc­ca­sion. Denis Leacy and James Parle ar­rowed over neat points be­fore the lat­ter bun­dled home their first goal on 20 min­utes af­ter Ro­nan Minogue had struck the post (1-4 to 0-2).

How­ever, Rath­nure pro­duced a mo­ment of class them­selves two min­utes later when Der­mot Reddy’s run set up Trevor Ho­gan for a fine goal on the swivel as the gap was cut to 1-4 to 1-2.

But the mo­ment of the half be­longed to Hughie O’Neill, who gath­ered af­ter some good work in the cor­ner by Parle, and used his sear­ing pace be­fore goal­ing to the top cor­ner to help Bal­ly­hogue into a 2-7 to 1-3 half-time lead.

And it was one-way traf­fic there­after, with Rath­nure not scor­ing from play again un­til Donal McGa­han pointed from the last puck. Be­fore that, Parle pounced for his sec­ond goal af­ter O’Neill was ini­tially de­nied, while Leacy bat­ted home their fourth goal four min­utes from time to round off a com­fort­able night’s work for Bal­ly­hogue.

Bal­ly­hogue: Paddy Carr; Fionn Rochford, Ed­die Gala­van, Ger Cullen; Shane Doyle, Seán Rochford (capt.), Nick Doyle; Conor Byrne, Shane Byrne (0-2); Enda Minogue (0-2), Hughie O’Neill (1-0), Graham Parker (0-2); Ro­nan Minogue (0-7, 3 frees, 1 ‘65), Denis Leacy (1-2), James Parle (2-1). Subs. - Mick Con­don for Parle, Shane Roche (0-1) for Parker, Seán Ring for E. Minogue, Mick Parker for S. Byrne, Shane Fen­lon for Cullen.

Rath­nure: Liam Bar­ron; Richie Mur­phy, Mick O’Leary (capt.), Aod­hán Fo­ley; Jamie Miller, Shane Bar­ron (0-7 frees), Adam Quigley; Der­mot Reddy (0-1 free), Paddy Flynn; Paul Mur­phy (0-1), Colm Byrne, Donal McGa­han (0-1); Ja­son Mur­phy, Neil Mor­ris­sey, Trevor Ho­gan (1-0). Subs. - John Haugh­ney for Ho­gan, inj., Niall Dil­lon for Flynn, Stephen Quigley for J. Mur­phy, Kevin O’Leary for A. Quigley, Paddy O’Con­nor for Fo­ley.

Ref­eree: Dickie Mur­phy (Rap­pa­rees).

Gavin Bai­ley of Ferns St. Ai­dan’s on the ball as Rhys Clarke (Faythe Har­ri­ers) gives chase.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.