Jim­mies tops with big fin­ish

Anne’s con­cede the last 1-6

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - DAVE DEV­EREUX


ST. JAMES’ pro­duced a rous­ing fin­ish to to claim the spoils from an en­ter­tain­ing en­counter in Group A of The Court­yard Ferns In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship in Grantstown on Satur­day.

With twelve min­utes re­main­ing the Rams­grange men trailed by 2-13 to 1-13, but they then reg­is­tered 1-6 with­out re­ply in swash­buck­ling style to gar­ner a much-needed vic­tory.

The New Ross District side found them­selves six points adrift early in the sec­ond-half, but a 38th-minute goal from the out­stand­ing David Doyle was the cat­a­lyst for the fight­back and they drove on from there, with Kevin O’Grady rais­ing the green flag late on to seal the deal.

St. Anne’s held a 2-8 to 0-10 ad­van­tage at the in­ter­val, with route one hurl­ing pay­ing rich div­i­dends as Mikey Fogarty and David O’Con­nor both pounced on slack de­fend­ing to plun­der goals.

The open­ing ma­jor came eleven min­utes in when Mark Fur­long pumped a long-range free into the dan­ger zone and Fogarty was quick­est to the loose ball to give the Rathangan-based out­fit a 1-3 to 0-4 lead.

Points from Jess Codd and Mark Fur­long stretched the St. Anne’s ad­van­tage, but a hat-trick of Kevin O’Grady frees and a fine Jamie Myler score from the right side­line eased St. James’ back to within one (1-6 to 0-8) with 22 min­utes on the clock.

How­ever, St. Anne’s were quickly back in the as­cen­dancy when David O’Con­nor gath­ered posses- sion, out­mus­cled the de­fence and forced the ball over the line.

St. Anne’s be­gan the sec­ond-half brightly, re­ply­ing to Liam Mur­phy’s early score with a trio of Mark Fur­long frees to lead by 2-11 to 0-11 on 36 min­utes.

David Doyle turned the game on its head sec­onds later though when he grabbed the goal his in­dus­try de­served, break­ing through the de­fence and an­gling a drive to the cor­ner of the net.

St. Anne’s re­sponded in­stantly with a sweet Liam Rochford point, but the men in green were play­ing with a re­newed con­fi­dence at this stage and Kevin O’Grady (free) and Shane Mur­phy slot­ted over to re­duce the gap to two points.

Diar­muid O’Ke­effe floated over a nice score from a pro­hib­i­tive an­gle in the 45th minute to re­store the one-goal buf­fer, but they failed to work the score­board for the fi­nal quar­ter.

St. James’, on the other hand, be­gan to mo­tor, reel­ing off scores through Jamie Myler, Alan Walsh and Kevin O’Grady to draw level, be­fore Matthew O’Han­lon plucked a Luke Mur­phy puck-out from the sky and split the posts to give them the lead with four min­utes re­main­ing.

Jamie Myler added to the St. Anne’s woes with an­other point and Kevin O’Grady rubbed salt into their wounds when he gath­ered a pass from Liam Mur­phy, headed for goal and blasted a shot be­yond Red­mond Barry.

Daniel Keat­ing then put the ic­ing on the cake, knock­ing over the fi­nal score as St. James’ put them­selves back in the run­ning.

St. James’: Luke Mur­phy; Brian Mol­loy, Ja­son Bar­ron, Paul Bar­ron; Liam Mur­phy (capt., 0-1), Rob­bie Bar­ron, David Doyle (1-0); Mark Mol­loy, Matthew O’Han­lon (0-2, 1 free); Daniel Keat­ing (0-1), Kevin O’Grady (1-8, 0-8 frees), Shane Mur­phy (0-1); Donal Bar­ron, Jamie Myler (0-4), Alan Walsh (0-2). Sub. - Tommy Walsh for A. Walsh.

St. Anne’s: Red­mond Barry; Páraic O’Ke­effe, Tomás Cullen, Kevin White; Kenny Cloney, Ai­dan Rochford, Finn O’Driscoll; Mark Fur­long (0-7, 5 frees), Sea­mus Mythen (capt.); Brian Ka­vanagh (0-1), Diar­muid O’Ke­effe (0-1), Jess Codd (0-2); Mikey Fogarty (1-0), David O’Con­nor (1-1), Liam Rochford (0-1). Sub. - Andy Kennedy for Ka­vanagh, Fran­cis Simp­son for L. Rochford.

Ref­eree: David Jenk­ins (Gusser­ane).

James Breen burst­ing through a tackle for Adamstown in their derby win over Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.