Adamstown on song in derby

Cushin­stown rock bot­tom

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - JA­SON GOOD­I­SON


ADAMSTOWN OUTSCORED a com­pet­i­tive Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown in their Group B en­counter in O’Kennedy Park on Satur­day to edge closer to The Court­yard Ferns In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship quar­ter-finals.

Goals in ei­ther half gave them a con­sis­tent con­trol of the game and meant that Ol­lie Bol­ger’s late kicked ma­jor for the losers made lit­tle in­flu­ence to the out­come.

They say the per­fect time to score a goal is just be­fore the in­ter­val, and that is ex­actly what Adamstown’s Liam Stafford did when rais­ing the game’s first green flag as he fired past Colin Whe­lan.

Prior to this both sides had traded scores with lit­tle goal threat. Tony French hit five of the nine first-half mi­nors for the even­tual vic­tors while Daire Bol­ger out-did French’s tally by one, point­ing six times be­fore the break.

With a goal sep­a­rat­ing the sides at the in­ter­val (1-9 to 0-9), it was any­one’s game as they emerged for the sec­ond pe­riod.

It was briefly a one-point game af­ter two Matthew Cody frees and a Ja­son Dunne sin­gle were an­swered by just one Johnny Con­nors point, but Adamstown kicked on.

Paddy Whitty and John French got in on the act be­fore the crit­i­cal sec­ond goal.

Tony French added to his im­pres­sive points tally with a well-taken ma­jor from the penalty spot.

Two Lor­can French points put seven be­tween the teams (2-16 to 0-15) with ten min­utes to go as time for a Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown re­vival was run­ning out.

There were tiny em­bers of hope when Dunne’s pass found Bol­ger and he kicked be­low the ad­vanc­ing Paul De­laney but it all seemed too lit­tle, too late.

Tony French added an­other trio of mi­nors to set­tle the nerves while Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown could only man­age two more scores, with Daire Bol­ger and Bernard Fur­long on target.

Whitty pointed the fi­nal score of the night as Adamstown ran out six-point win­ners.

The vic­tors will qual­ify for the knock­out stages if they can get some­thing out of their fi­nal game with Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn, but Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown are con­demned to a rel­e­ga­tion fi­nal re­gard­less of how they fare.

Adamstown: Paul De­laney; John Whe­lan, P.J. Car­roll, Bren­dan Fur­long; Michael Fur­long (0-1), Shane O’Gor­man (0-1), James Breen; Johnny Con­nors (0-1), Lor­can French (capt., 0-2); Tony French (1-10, 0-6 frees), Liam Stafford (1-1), Seán Bar­den; Harry Cos­grave, Paddy Whitty (0-3), Paudie Bar­den (0-1). Subs. - John French (0-1) for Cos­grave (31), Barry Power for P. Bar­den (55).

Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown: Colin Whe­lan (0-1); Ricky McGrath, Bryan Cody, Peadar Cody; Paddy Mur­phy, Matthew Cody (0-2 frees), Peter Aspel; Brian O’Neill (0-1), Eoin Porter; Robert Mur­phy (capt., 0-2), Daniel Martin Car­roll, Tadhg Cody; Ja­son Dunne (0-1), Bernard Fur­long (0-1), Daire Bol­ger (0-10, 7 frees). Subs. - Ol­lie Bol­ger (10) for Mur­phy (39), Fran­cis O’Brien for McGrath (42), Colm Mur­phy for Porter (49), Aaron Ryan for T. Cody (58).

Ref­eree: Seán Whe­lan (St. Martin’s).


THE AC­CU­RACY of Sam Kelly was the de­cid­ing fac­tor in Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn’s vic­tory over Sham­rocks in this lively and closely-fought Group B con­test in round four of The Court­yard Ferns In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship in Oylegate on Satur­day.

The tal­ented Wex­ford Un­der-21 for­ward was in deadly form from placed balls and hit an all-im­por­tant goal mid­way through the sec­ond-half which was a real sucker-punch for their Enniscorthy town op­po­nents.

Hav­ing both suf­fered one de­feat al­ready in their cam­paigns, th­ese sides were de­ter­mined to get the all-im­por­tant third win that would se­cure a place in the last eight, and that de­ter­mi­na­tion was ev­i­dent right from the start as Harry Goff and Sam Kelly traded scores on two oc­ca­sions early on.

The even­tual win­ners were hav­ing a bet­ter time in front of goals how­ever, and went ahead by five with ten min­utes be­fore the break.

The ‘Rocks re­gained their com­po­sure when Seán Wildes stole in­side the de­fence and fin­ished to the net, and with help from Philip Free­man they were back within two at half-time.

Within two min­utes of the restart they were ahead thanks to Goff, Wildes and John Thorpe but that was as good as things would get for them as the beaten fi­nal­ists of 2015 showed why they were car­ry­ing the favourites’ tag with Kelly, Tony Mur­phy, Oisín Fo­ley and Niall Mur­phy hit­ting scores at will, putting them six points up mid­way through the half.

Seán ‘Tut­sie’ Wildes was prov­ing to be a real hand­ful for the Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn de­fence and was un­lucky not to find the net go­ing into the fi­nal quar­ter.

But the lively full-for­ward made no mis­take one minute later to put his side within touch­ing dis­tance.

Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn re­sponded ad­mirably how­ever, with who else but Kelly pounc­ing for a goal al­most im­me­di­ately which was in­evitably the score that put his side into the quar­ter-finals, with Sham­rocks’ fu­ture un­cer­tain un­til the fi­nal round.

Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn: Mark Dempsey; Paul Roche, Billy Roche, Alan Byrne; Conor Shovlin, Paddy Dev­ereux, David Ke­hoe; Conor Dev­ereux, Ro­nan Dev­ereux (0-1); Shane O’Rourke (0-1), Sam Kelly (1-7, 0-5 frees, 0-1 ‘65), Oisín Fo­ley (0-2); Niall Mur­phy (0-3), Tony Mur­phy (1-3), David Jack­man. Subs. - Pádraig Fo­ley for B. Roche, Eoin McDon­ald for Ke­hoe, Luke Red­mond for O’Rourke.

Sham­rocks: Jamie Dagg; Barry Dobbs, Mick Weafer, Podge Doyle; Bob Ja­cob, An­thony Wal­lace, Philip Free­man (0-1); Jim Ja­cob, Bran­don O’Con­nor; Harry Goff (0-4), Jack Moore­house (0-1), Kil­lian Ga­han; Mau­rice Casey (0-4 frees), Seán Wildes (2-1), John Thorpe (0-2 frees). Sub. - Karl Cullen for Thorpe.

Ref­eree: Damien Dono­van (Vol­un­teers).

Seán Bar­den of Adamstown beats Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown’s Paddy Mur­phy to the ball.

Lor­can French of Adamstown is chased by Tadhg Cody.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.