Fethard seal sec­ond place

Tagh­mon end in third spot

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - JA­SON GOOD­I­SON


FETHARD CAME out on top in the bat­tle for sec­ond spot in Group B of the Top Oil In­ter­me­di­ate ‘A’ hurl­ing cham­pi­onship on Satur­day with a four-point win over Tagh­mon-Cam­ross in O’Kennedy Park, New Ross.

Luck­ily for ref­eree John Tobin, his early mis­cal­cu­la­tion of Fethard’s scor­ing tally did not bare a last­ing im­pact on the out­come of the game as he ap­peared to give the even­tual win­ners a phan­tom point dur­ing the first-half.

The er­ror came in strange cir­cum­stances as ref­eree Tobin asked for the score­board to be changed early in the game so that it showed the scores level at three points apiece, de­spite the ma­jor­ity of on­look­ers and his own lines­man hav­ing the score recorded at 0-3 to 0-2 to Tagh­mon-Cam­ross.

Two early Ian Carty points and a sin­gle from Adam Win­ters ac­tu­ally had the even­tual losers ahead by three be­fore they went eleven min­utes with­out a score and were swiftly pegged back.

In this time, Pierce Doyle was on target twice. He tied the game up in the eleventh minute be­fore fir­ing home from Gar­rett Fo­ley’s pass to raise the green flag.

Fur­ther Daire Bar­den and Mark Wal­lace mi­nors were an­swered by Carty and Luke Sin­nott so that the score closed at 1-5 to 0-5 at the break, de­spite the score­board now in­sist­ing it was 1-6 to 0-5.

Tagh­mon-Cam­ross ral­lied at the be­gin­ning of the sec­ond-half and were briefly in the lead at 1-8 to 1-7, af­ter Pierce Doyle got the bet­ter of Fethard ‘keeper Seán Fo­ley for a ma­jor and Barry O’Gor­man shot over from dis­tance to put them in front.

From there, St. Mogue’s dom­i­nated and closed out a wel­learned vic­tory. Jesse Fo­ley and John Tubritt over­turned the lead and more Wal­lace points widened the gap. Tagh­mon-Cam­ross would only man­age three scores in the fi­nal 20 min­utes through Stephen O’Gor­man, Sin­nott and Carty, and Fethard fin­ished stronger.

A late Wal­lace dou­ble and a sin­gle from Tubritt put the seal on a de­served vic­tory to set up a quar­ter-fi­nal meet­ing with Our Lady’s Is­land. Tagh­mon-Cam­ross fin­ish third and will face Duf­fry Rovers in the last eight.

Fethard: Seán Fo­ley; Chris Mol­loy, Rúairí Tubrid, Martin Power; Richie Wa­ters (0-1), Kevin Rowe, Brian O’Dono­hoe; Gar­rett Fo­ley (capt.), John Tubritt (0-2); Jesse Fo­ley (0-2), Mark Wal­lace (0-6, 5 frees), Daire Bar­den (0-2); Graham O’Grady, Mikie Dwyer, Joe Sut­ton (1-2). Sub. - John Rice for Dwyer (61).

Tagh­mon-Cam­ross: Seán O’Gor­man; Shane Doyle, Alan Nolan, Mark O’Gor­man; David O’Ke­effe, Ian Carty (0-4 frees), Stephen Stafford; Barry O’Gor­man, Dar­ren Carty; Thomas Fur­long (0-1), Chris Cullen, Adam Win­ters (0-1); Luke Sin­nott (0-2), Stephen O’Gor­man (0-2), Pierce Doyle (1-1). Sub. - Michael O’Gor­man for Cullen (52).

Ref­eree: John Tobin (Geral­dine O’Han­ra­hans).

Jack Guiney of Rath­nure takes off on a solo run with Bobby Kenny (Buf­fers Al­ley) in hot pur­suit dur­ing their Pet­titt’s SHC clash.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.