Oulart shake off Geraldines

Strong fin­ish does the trick

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - DAVE DEV­EREUX


OULART-THE BAL­LAGH pro­duced a strong final ten min­utes to fi­nally shake off the brave re­sis­tance of Geral­dine O’Han­ra­hans in an in­trigu­ing Top Oil In­ter­me­di­ate ‘A’ hurl­ing cham­pi­onship quar­ter-final in a blus­tery Kil­urin on Satur­day

Oulart were ahead by the min­i­mum at the break (2-5 to 1-7), but in­cred­i­bly the sec­ond-half was al­most 20 min­utes old be­fore an­other score was reg­is­tered, with Pad Mythen fi­nally end­ing the drought and the men in red and black kicked on from there.

Barry Kelly and Eoin Kelly con­verted long-range placed balls, ei­ther side of a Pad Mythen free, to give un­der­dogs Geral­dine O’Han­ra­hans a 0-2 to 0-1 ad­van­tage on five min­utes, but they were hit by a sucker-punch when Oulart-The Bal­lagh pounced for the open­ing goal. Adam Nolan ran straight at the heart of the de­fence and picked out Cor­mac Finn, who ar­rowed the ball to the cor­ner of the net in the eighth minute.

The ma­jor was a big boost and they rubbed salt into the wounds, with Pad Mythen float­ing over a fine ef­fort from the side­line and Peter Sut­ton do­ing the need­ful to stretch the lead to 1-3 to 0-2.

Geral­dine O’Han­ra­hans showed plenty of char­ac­ter though and af­ter two Eoin Kelly points were fol­lowed by a Pad Mythen free they struck for the equal­is­ing goal in the 20th minute.

Kelly went for goal from a free, and, af­ter his ef­fort was blocked on the line, Barry Roche picked up the pieces and fin­ished past net­min­der James O’Toole.

How­ever, af­ter Pad Mythen and Stephen Somers had ex­changed scores they were again rocked back by a blow to the so­lar plexus when Oulart plun­dered their sec­ond goal three min­utes be­fore the in­ter­val.

Mythen floated a free into the dan­ger zone, and Ben O’Con­nor got a stick to it to di­vert the ball past Bran­don Gar­diner (2-5 to 1-5).

The New Ross town men showed ad­mirable bat­tling qual­i­ties though and got them­selves back to within a point thanks to an Eoin Kelly free and a Barry Kelly ‘65 in in­jury time.

Scores were hard to come by in the sec­ond-half, but af­ter Pad Mythen fi­nally stopped the rot in the 50th minute they were like London buses, with Gary Mur­phy do­ing like­wise sec­onds later and Mythen quickly adding two more to make it 2-9 to 1-7 and ef­fec­tively put the game to bed.

Geral­dine O’Han­ra­hans didn’t throw in the towel though, with Barry Kelly and Dy­lan Egan point­ing ei­ther side of a Mythen free, but Oulart-The Bal­lagh de­servedly booked their place in the final four.

Oulart-The Bal­lagh: James O’Toole; Seán Mur­phy, Ni­cholas Cullen, Ian Storey; Kevin Nimmo, Den­nis Mor­ton, Dar­ren Nolan (capt.); Pad Mythen (0-8, 4 frees), Niall Red­mond; Peter Sut­ton (0-1), Tomás Dunne, Adam Nolan; Cor­mac Finn (1-0), Ben O’Con­nor (1-0), Gary Mur­phy (0-1). Sub. - Ea­mon Mur­phy for Nolan.

Geral­dine O’Han­ra­hans: Bran­don Gar­diner; Gerry Cash, Enda Kelly, Michael Cleere; Barry Kelly (0-3, 2 ‘65s, 1 free), Dy­lan Egan (capt., 0-1), Conor Cleere; Matt Crow­dle, Jack Fo­ran; Brian Haber­lin, Stephen Somers (0-1), Eoin Kelly (0-4, 2 frees, 1 ‘65); Kevin Grangel, David Crow­dle, Barry Roche (1-0). Subs. - Shane Mur­ray for M. Crow­dle, Dy­lan Wick­ham for Roche.

Ref­eree: Seán Whe­lan (St. Martin’s).

Tadhg Cody of Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown tries to shake off the at­ten­tions of Liam Ga­han of Mon­ageer-Boolavogue dur­ing their In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship match in In­no­vate Wex­ford Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.