Peter’s lose to the old enemy

Third quar­ter strug­gles prove costly for Wex­ford col­lege

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - ALAN AHERNE


THE DENIZENS of St. Peter’s Col­lege hold­ing the game of hurl­ing close to their hearts must be thor­oughly sick of the sight of the black and white St. Kieran’s jersey at this stage.

Satur­day’s Top Oil Le­in­ster Schools Corn Uí Dhúill Se­nior hurl­ing ‘ A’ cham­pi­onship semi-fi­nal in St. Patrick’s Park, En­nis­cor­thy, had an all too fa­mil­iar pat­tern as the Sum­mer­hill side’s neme­sis main­tained the in­dian sign over their long-time ri­vals.

St. Peter’s were com­pet­i­tive un­til the end, al­though they never looked like clos­ing the gap af­ter an unan­swered 1-4 from the Noresiders in the 19 min­utes af­ter half-time put them em­phat­i­cally in the driv­ing seat.

The goal that kick-started that dom­i­nance will haunt the losers, be­cause it was fash­ioned from such an un­likely sit­u­a­tion.

St. Peter’s had matched the All-Ire­land fi­nal­ists of the last four years, and three-in-a-row cham­pi­ons from 2014 to 2016, ev­ery step of the way be­fore the break, with the sides dead­locked at the change of ends (1-6 each).

The game started to swing in the di­rec­tion of the favourites just 49 sec­onds into the new half af­ter a throw-in di­rectly in front of the Peter’s goal was seized upon with glee by the best-known Kieran’s for­ward.

Some­how Adrian Mullen man­aged to drib­ble the slio­thar hockey-style be­fore forc­ing it home from close range, but it was a very soft and sloppy goal to con­cede.

And St. Kieran’s had ex­tended their lead to 2-9 to 1-6 by the 41st minute, with Mullen set­ting up David O’Car­roll for a point be­fore Eoin Cody added a brace from placed balls.

St. Peter’s had their chances all the same, with Ross Banville missing a cou­ple of frees af­ter ac­count­ing for an im­pres­sive 1-5 of their first-half tally, in­clud­ing 1-2 from play.

Kieran’s also came close to a goal when a David O’Car­roll ef­fort was scram­bled to safety af­ter a timely in­ter­ven­tion by full-back Ben Maddock.

The big mo­ment of the sec­ond pe­riod ar­rived mid­way through when Ben Stafford was taken down on a solo run by Diar­muid Phe­lan as he raced goal­wards.

Ross Banville stepped up to the penalty but luck wasn’t on his side as he blasted the ball off the right-hand post be­fore Kieran’s cleared their lines.

A goal at that stage would have given the chal­lengers a huge lift, but it wasn’t to be as Adrian Mullen added a point be­fore Ben Stafford fi­nally reg­is­tered the first Peter’s score af­ter the in­ter­val - a neat over the shoul­der point in the 51st minute (2-10 to 1-7).

Mullen seemed to get away with a bla­tant throw when he off-loaded to Eoin O’Shea for the next Kieran’s point, with Dy­lan Lyne mak­ing a good block on a goal at­tempt from Eoin Cody be­fore Banville knocked over his sole sec­ond-half free.

Mullen re­sponded from a placed ball, prior to Peter’s pounc­ing for a con­so­la­tion goal at the end of the sec­ond of the five added min­utes played.

A Banville free was bat­ted out by net­min­der Dean Ma­son, and Jake Nobbs was quick­est to re­act as he first-timed to the net from close range (2-12 to 2-8).

Kieran’s cre­ated a golden goal chance im­me­di­ately as Adrian Mullen raced through at the other end, but Dy­lan Lyne took one for the team and hauled him to the ground.

Re­tal­i­a­tion from the at­tacker led to yel­low cards for both and a throw-in, but Mullen did have the fi­nal say when he picked off a late point as Kieran’s ad­vanced to a fi­nal clash with Dublin North.

The open­ing half had been an even con­test af­ter Peter’s re­cov­ered from a slow start, with mid­fielder Philip Dempsey lead­ing the charge and Ross Banville mak­ing full use of his op­por­tu­ni­ties in an oth­er­wise dis­ap­point­ing for­ward line.

Jake Nobbs - in for the sus­pended Cian Meyler - was the only one of the sex­tet to start in his po­si­tion as per the pro­gramme, with num­ber 10 Brian Deeny op­er­at­ing first at full-for­ward, while Ben Stafford was on the ’40.

The team started to im­prove when Con­all Clancy, who was at right half-for­ward at the out­set, moved to form an ef­fec­tive mid­field pair­ing with the tena­cious Dempsey.

Mean­while, Peter’s had recog­nised the threat likely to come from Adrian Mullen by mov­ing cen­tre-back Michael Codd to the left flank to mark him.

Codd did more than his fair share of ef­fec­tive hurl­ing against a high-cal­i­bre op­po­nent, and he was prom­i­nent around the mid­dle in the sec­ond-half when his strength un­der the drop­ping ball shone through.

Eoin Cody got Kieran’s off the mark af­ter 43 sec­onds, tak­ing the re­turn pass on the left at the coun­try end af­ter playing a line ball to Jamie Young.

Ross Banville replied, alert to the break off big Brian Deeny af­ter Adam Cantwell dropped the slio­thar into the dan­ger zone.

The last thing Peter’s needed or wanted was to con­cede an early goal, but that’s ex­actly what hap­pened in the fifth minute.

Adrian Mullen made a de­fence-split­ting run be­fore hand­pass­ing to his right for full-for­ward David O’Car­roll to rat­tle the net.

Mullen was lucky to es­cape with­out a yel­low card for a frontal charge on Dy­lan Lyne be­fore Kieran’s built on that tonic score, with his point fol­lowed by an­other from mid­fielder Eoin O’Shea (1-3 to 0-1).

A rare slip by im­pres­sive Kieran’s cen­tre-back, Jesse Roberts, when he dropped a Peter’s de­liv­ery in the eleventh minute, was pun­ished by Ross Banville who dou­bled his tally.

The ro­ta­tion of the Peter’s for­wards had started at this early stage, and cap­tain Jack Dev­ereux moved from mid­field to the ’ 40 while Brian Deeny drifted out to the right wing, with Adam Cantwell slot­ting in at full-for­ward.

A Banville ’65 nar­rowed the gap to one goal be­fore Philip Dempsey lifted the troops around him with a fine point from long range in the 16th minute (1-3 to 0-4).

Kieran’s had a sharper set of at­tack­ers, though, and cap­tain Daithí Bar­ron showed his qual­ity with a fine brace of points in a mere 40 sec­onds.

The first was a beauty from tight to the right side­line. And when Jesse Roberts caught David Pet­tit’s re­sul­tant puck-out over Brian Deeny’s head, he drilled the ball down the left flank where Bar­ron popped up on the op­po­site side of the field, pluck­ing it from the air be­fore split­ting the posts.

A foul on Ben Stafford led to Ross Banville’s fourth point, and the equal­is­ing goal fol­lowed in the 23rd minute.

Philip Dempsey’s de­liv­ery was read ex­pertly by Banville who caught the ball, turned, and clev­erly bat­ted it to the net Shane O’Don­nell-style to avoid a pos­si­ble hook (1-5 each).

Free-takers Eoin Cody and Banville ex­changed points be­fore the break, al­though it took a mar­vel­lous in­ter­cep­tion in be­tween by Ben Maddock - cut­ting out an at­temped Cody hand­pass to David O’Car­roll - to pre­vent a near-cer­tain sec­ond Kieran’s goal.

What­ever breeze ad­van­tage there was favoured the Kilkenny side on the re-start, and af­ter that sec­ond goal went in early on they as­serted their su­pe­ri­or­ity.

They ended the en­counter with eleven wides com­pared to five for Peter’s, while the losers were awarded 18 of the 28 frees by er­ratic ref­eree Patrick Mur­phy who ap­peared to ig­nore some bla­tant fouls in the sticky un­der­foot con­di­tions.

St. Peter’s: David Pet­tit (Our Lady’s Is­land); Dy­lan Lyne (Glynn-Barn­town), Ben Maddock (St. Martin’s), Ryan Furlong (Faythe Har­ri­ers); Shane Doyle (Glynn-Barn­town), Billy Dunne (Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh), Michael Codd (St. Martin’s); Jack Dev­ereux (St. Martin’s, capt.), Philip Dempsey (St. Martin’s, 0-1); Con­all Clancy (Faythe Har­ri­ers), Ben Stafford (St. Martin’s, 0-1), Jake Nobbs (Black­wa­ter, 1-0); Ross Banville (Shel­maliers, 1-6, 0-3 frees, 0-1 ’65), Brian Deeny (Faythe Har­ri­ers), Adam Cantwell (St. Martin’s). Subs. - Cil­lian Ga­han (Faythe Har­ri­ers) for Cantwell, temp. (43-44), Ga­han for Deeny (58), also Jack Wat­ters-Cos­grave (Shel­maliers), Con­all O Cru­alaoich (Faythe Har­ri­ers), Eoin O’Neill (Black­wa­ter), Dáire Reville (Faythe Har­ri­ers), Jack For­tune (Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn), Fei­dhlim Roche (Black­wa­ter), Patrick O’Con­nor (Black­wa­ter), Zac Fir­man (St. Martin’s), Sam Aud­s­ley (St. Martin’s), Peter Row­ley (Oyle­gate-Glen­brien), Shane Walsh (St. Martin’s), Niall Hearne (Shel­maliers), Adam Hearne (Shel­maliers), Ethan Free­man (Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh), Jack O’Leary (St. Fin­tan’s), Dar­ragh Howlin (Shel­maliers), Nathan O’Han­lon (Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh), Mark Power (Shel­maliers), Colm Kiely (Glynn-Barn­town).

St. Kieran’s: Dean Ma­son; Tommy Ro­nan, Conor Mur­phy, Mark Nolan; Diar­muid Phe­lan, Jesse Roberts, Luke Mur­phy; Kil­lian Egan, Eoin O’Shea (0-2); Adrian Mullen (1-4, 0-1 free), Jamie Young, Ian Walsh; Daithí Bar­ron (capt., 0-2), David O’Car­roll (1-1), Eoin Cody (0-4, 2 frees, 1 ’65). Subs. - George Mur­phy for Bar­ron (48), Eoghan Moy­lan for Walsh (49), Ciarán Ho­gan for Cody (58), Jef­frey Coyne for O’Car­roll (59).

Ref­eree: Patrick Mur­phy (Car­low).

Ben Stafford un­der pres­sure from Jesse Roberts of St. Kieran’s as Brian Deeny awaits the out­come.

Ross Banville (15) af­ter scor­ing a first-half goal for St. Peter’s Col­lege.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.