Point puts Réalt lads through

Seasiders over­come in­jury loss to draw with Hol­low

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - DEAN GOOD­I­SON


A POINT was enough to en­sure Réalt na Mara booked their Wex­ford Peo­ple Un­der-17 foot­ball Roinn 2 cham­pi­onship quar­ter-fi­nal place in Cool­ree on Mon­day of last week.

In a thor­oughly en­ter­tain­ing game, the Bal­ly­gar­rett boys were forced to use their sub­sti­tu­tion early af­ter the tal­ented Far­rell Doyle picked up a nasty shoul­der in­jury, but they still bat­tled away in the heat to se­cure a de­served share of the spoils.

Iron­i­cally it was their soli­tary re­place­ment, Oisín O’Lough­lin, who volleyed over the equal­is­ing point in the 60th minute, af­ter Joe Woods, de­spite play­ing with an in­jury, had seen his ini­tial shot blocked away.

Duf­fry Rovers will be happy enough with their draw too.

They are two points be­hind Réalt na Mara in the ta­ble with a game in hand. With point-less and strug­gling Craanford to come in their last game, they should also book a last eight spot in due course.

It was a real game of con­trasts. Réalt na Mara were strong in mid­field and were able to boss that area. How­ever, they were very youth­ful in other po­si­tions and their hosts were able to take ad­van­tage of some of those bat­tles.

Rovers didn’t en­joy as much ball in their op­po­nents’ third of the field, but when they got pos­ses­sion in there ev­ery one of their six start­ing for­wards proved they had the tools to win in­di­vid­ual match-ups.

Five of the six at­tack­ers scored and the other, Aaron Smyth, cre­ated more than his fair share of chances through­out the 60 min­utes.

Three classy Joseph Burke points got the vis­i­tors off to the per­fect start.

How­ever, Cathal Roche caught Ge­orge Kenny’s search­ing ball into the goal­mouth in the 16th minute and fired low to the net, and soon his side had built a 1-4 to 0-4 lead.

Martin O’Lough­lin was a real thorn in the Hol­low de­fence, pro­vid­ing much more than a usual ‘14’ might be ex­pected to pro­duce.

How­ever, he also had the full-for­ward’s eye for goal and his first ma­jor, a close-range palm home from Aaron Hall’s re­cy­cled free-kick, helped Réalt na Mara burst into a 1-7 to 1-5 in­ter­val lead.

The ad­van­tage didn’t last long af­ter the re-start. Ciarán Doyle’s de­flected goal put the Duf­fry/ Mar­shal­stown-Cas­tle­dock­rell dou­ble act ahead but they couldn’t push on.

In­stead Réalt na Mara got on top and O’Lough­lin’s stun­ning low ma­jor, plus a pair of Hall points, gave them a 2-9 to 2-6 ad­van­tage into the fi­nal quar­ter.

The vis­i­tors were in com­plete con­trol at this stage but six wides in a row hurt.

Hol­low even­tu­ally had their spell and took the lead in the 58th minute when Roche punched Noah Kear­ney’s chipped ef­fort home from close range.

How­ever, Oisín O’Lough­lin had the fi­nal say with a late, de­served equaliser as the sides shared the spoils.

Hol­low Rovers: Jack White; James Byrne, Jonathan Doyle, Ryan Quigley; Adam Somers, Michael But­ler, Ryan McLough­lin; David Far­rell, David Kin­sella; Aaron Smyth, Noah Kear­ney (0-3), Dean But­ler (0-2); Ciarán Doyle (1-0), Ge­orge Kenny (0-3, 2 frees), Cathal Roche (capt., 2-0). Subs. - James Ayl­ward for C. Doyle (33), also Dy­lan Bol­ger, Tadhg Dunne.

Réalt Na Mara: James Doyle; Martin McCarthy, Eoghan Mur­phy, Tier­nan O’Lough­lin; Far­rell Doyle, Richard Con­roy, Joe Woods; Joseph Burke (capt., 0-4), Aaron Hall (0-3, 2 frees); Eoin Cana­van (0-1), Kyle Moore-Ka­vanagh, Michael Bol­ger; Jack Doyle (0-2), Martin O’Lough­lin (2-0), Jack Red­mond. Subs. - Oisín O’Lough­lin (0-1) for F. Doyle, inj. (3).

Ref­eree: Martin Quigley (Rath­nure).

The Réalt na Mara squad be­fore the game in Cool­ree.

The Hol­low Rovers con­tin­gent.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.