Sunday Independent (Ireland) - Business & Appointments - - FRONT PAGE -

crim­i­nal sanc­tions for: fail­ure to make a re­turn, mak­ing of a false re­turn, fa­cil­i­tat­ing the mak­ing of a false re­turn, or, claim­ing tax cred­its, al­lowances or re­liefs which are not due.

In the event of a crim­i­nal pros­e­cu­tion, a per­son con­victed on in­dict­ment of an of­fence may be li­able to a fine not ex­ceed­ing €126,970 and/or to a fine of up to dou­ble the dif­fer­ence be­tween the de­clared tax due and the tax ul­ti­mately found to be due and/or to im­pris­on­ment. You should re­tain all the pa­per­work and elec­tronic records re­lat­ing to your 2016 tax re­turn for six years. I’M A PAYE WORKER AND HAVE RE­CEIVED FOR THE FIRST TIME SOME SMALL AMOUNTS OF NON-PAYE IN­COME AND I WANT TO CLAIM SOME TAX RE­LIEFS — DO I RE­ALLY NEED TO COM­PLETE THE FORM 11? If you had a PAYE source of in­come and your net as­sess­able NON-PAYE in­come was less than €5,000 in 2016, and this in­come was coded against your PAYE tax cred­its or fully taxed at source, you are not re­garded as a self-as­sessed tax­payer (known as a charge­able per­son) for 2016 (pro­vided your gross NON-PAYE in­come be­fore ex­penses does not ex­ceed €30,000).

This means that you would not need to com­plete the Form 11. You should in­stead file the shorter Form 12 (half the length of the Form 11) which al­lows you to re­port your in­come and claim tax cred­its, al­lowances and re­liefs for 2016.

You can fill out a pa­per Form 12 which can be found at www.rev­

Al­ter­na­tively, you can com­plete the eform12 — this elec­tronic form is avail­able through the Rev­enue Com­mis­sion­ers my­ac­count ser­vice — as it is much eas­ier to com­plete than the pa­per ver­sion.

The eform 12 does not pro­vide for re­turn­ing Cap­i­tal Gains Tax de­tails. You must fill out a sep­a­rate Cap­i­tal Gains Tax re­turn called the Form CG1 in this case which is also avail­able on www.rev­

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.