Man waved iron bar in shop theft

The Argus - - NEWS - Michael Mur­den.

A Dun­dalk man who made off with a bot­tle of wa­ter and two pack­ets of crisps from a garage store af­ter wav­ing an iron bar at a shop worker was given a three year pri­son sen­tence at the Cir­cuit Court last week.

Michael Mur­den (22) with a pre­vi­ous ad­dress at 529 Ais­ling Park, was be­fore the court in re­la­tion to an in­ci­dent on Oc­to­ber 15th, 2015.

The court heard that Mur­den was ‘ heav­ily in­tox­i­cated’ and wear­ing gloves when he ap­proached the overnight win­dow at the Mace shop at the Maxol sta­tion on the Castle­town road at 2.45am.

He ap­proached the latch and asked for a bot­tle of wa­ter and two pack­ets of crisps. But when the staff mem­ber re­turned to the win­dow with the goods, he said he had no money to pay for them.

He pro­duced an iron bar and started ‘wav­ing it around’ and the court heard ‘prod­ding’ the win­dow.

The ac­cused made off with the goods, but shortly af­ter­wards gar­dai ar­rived and ar­rested him.

The court was told that Mur­den was known to the gar­dai and had a se­ries of pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions for of­fences rang­ing from as­sault to theft and bur­glary, car theft, black­mail and ex­tor­tion and crim­i­nal dam­age.

Bar­ris­ter, Derek Ken­neally, said his client was from a well known and re­spected fam­ily. He had left school at 16, and had no em­ploy­ment his­tory. He also has a four year old daugh­ter. Mr. Ken­neally said a fea­ture of the of­fend­ing be­hav­iour was that his client would be in­tox­i­cated dur­ing them.

He added that his client wanted to apol­o­gise sin­cerely for his ac­tions, to the owner of the Maxol sta­tion, and the staff mem­ber, who has since left his em­ploy­ment there.

The court was also told that Michael Mur­den has been in cus­tody for this of­fence since June 2016.

Judge Michael O’ Shea out­lined the na­ture of the crime, say­ing that it ap­peared there had been lit­tle or no plan­ning in­volved, as the ac­cused had not cov­ered his face.

But he said that it was ter­ri­fy­ing for the staff worker to be con­fronted with a man wav­ing or ‘prod­ding’ an iron bar.

Judge O’Shea ac­knowl­edged that the ac­cused had pleaded guilty to the of­fence, and was cur­rently in cus­tody.

He handed down a three year sen­tence, with the fi­nal 12 months sus­pended, tak­ing into ac­count time al­ready served.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.