Man buried who went miss­ing 18 years ago

The Irish Mail on Sunday - - COMMENT -

FOR the past 18 years, Aengus ‘Gussie’ Shana­han re­mained a ghostly im­age on a miss­ing per­sons poster.

How­ever, speak­ing at his fu­neral Mass yes­ter­day, his cousin, Fr Aquinas Duffy, said he is ‘no longer frozen in time’ from the day he dis­ap­peared, aged 20 in Fe­bru­ary 2000.

Im­prove­ments in DNA tech­nol­ogy led to con­fir­ma­tion last month that frag­ments of bone dis­cov­ered on the Shan­non Es­tu­ary 17 years ago be­longed to the Lim­er­ick man. The an­nounce­ment hit the fam­ily ‘like a thun­der­bolt’, his fa­ther Bob said.

Mourn­ers packed into Our Lady of Rosary Church on the En­nis Road yes­ter­day for Gussie’s fu­neral Mass. Fr Duffy, said the fam­ily had fi­nally found clo­sure. ‘He is no longer frozen in time, aged 20, on the 11 of Fe­bru­ary, 2000,’ Fr Duffy said. ‘Gussie is truly free.’

Fr Duffy, set up the miss­ing.ie web­site in 2000 as a re­sult of Gussie’s dis­ap­pear­ance.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.