More shake-ups afoot for Edinburgh film fest

The Irish Times - Friday - The Ticket - - News -

Fur­ther ruc­tions are afoot at the Edinburgh In­ter­na­tional Film Fes­ti­val. When, in 2008, the event moved from its usual spot in Septem­ber – oc­cu­py­ing the same slot as the main Edinburgh Fes­ti­val – to an empty space in June, many pun­ters felt that it lost a great deal of its busy en­ergy.

Late last year, re­vi­tal­i­sa­tion seemed likely when it was an­nounced that, un­der the watch­ful eye of ac­tor Tilda Swin­ton, pro­ducer Lynda Myles and critic Mark Cousins, the fes­ti­val was to ditch the no­tion of a sin­gle di­rec­tor and in­vite dis­tin­guished prac­ti­tion­ers such as Is­abella Ros­sellini and Gus Van Sant to curate a less con­ven­tional line-up.

Now, it has been re­ported that Swin­ton, Myles and Cousins have all left the event. “Our in­volve­ment ended when we sub­mit­ted more than 100 ideas for the cre­ative and artis­tic vi­sion for the fes­ti­val and we’ve not been in­volved since the mid­dle of Fe­bru­ary,” Cousins told the Scots­man news­pa­per. “We were all do­ing this un­paid, and have busy lives. I’ll be in the au­di­ence come June.”

Mean­while, James Mul­lighan, a for­mer mu­sic in­dus­try pro­fes­sional, has taken greater con­trol over the fes­ti­val. “It’s fair to say my role has mor­phed quite a bit since I was ap­pointed,” he said, “and I do have more re­spon­si­bil­i­ties. How­ever it was never the in­ten­tion that Linda, Tilda and Mark would be in­volved right up to the fes­ti­val in June.”

Guardian an­gel: Tilda Swin­ton at the 2008 Edinburgh Film Fes­ti­val

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.